Total Votes: 3
Guests cannot vote 
DocJohnson
post May 19 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #1

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 9,121

Well, I just got done brewing a kolsch/brown ale hybrid, and tried out my new Super Immersion Wort Chiller from Alternative Beverages. Now, I have to say that it took a while to get to me, but the wait was well worth it. For those of you not familiar with the design, it's a double coil immersion chiller. One coil in the pot, and one in a bucket of ice water (heavy on the ice). Total coil length is 50 feet. Now that's some cooling power! I wasn't watching the clock, but it probably took less than ten minutes to get down from flameout plus five minutes to about 105 degrees. I decanted the wort into my 5 gallon carboy and about 2 gallons of 62 degree water. I sealed the whole mess up and stuck it in and ice water bath in a big rubbermaid tub for about 10 minutes. After about 5 minutes or so, spent a few minutes aerating the wort with the carboy in the ice water. Let it set about five minutes more, and pulled it out. Aerated it to hell and back, and pitched the yeast.

Bottom line: This product cut two hours off my brewing time (i.e., with no chiller). It's on sale this month. If you need a chiller, go get this one.

This post has been edited by MtnBrewer: May 20 2007, 11:45 PM
Reason for edit: Poll corrected
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
darkfest
post Jun 14 2008, 05:11 AM
Post #2

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,059

Great product. Ordered mine from Alternative Beverage and it got here the next day, (as with every order from them). I have already used the super chiller 2 times and for full boils of 5 gal. or more... its a Must Have. The batch I brewed yesterday was a German Kolsch and I timed the chill down. I started with 6 gallons and from a rolling boil it had the wort chilled to 70 deg. F. in 26 minutes. I used water frozen in gallon water jugs ( from a previous brew), cut them in half and beat out big chunks of ice into a 5 gallon bucket with the chiller.( + 1 bag of bought ice) 26 minute chill down and then 10 more minutes and its a sitting & awaiting bubbling. Really cut my brewing time down. With 6 gal. extract boils... I can brew in less than 3 hrs. (minus clean up)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2018 - 12:33 AM