Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Liquid Stupid, A Honey, Ginger and Belgian Spiced Golden Strong
jojorallo
post May 12 2008, 04:36 PM
Post #61

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,152

I have to admit this brew lives up to its reputation. Very good and very very very strong (2 beers and I was on my ass). My hat is off to you for making this up.

p.s.

I think that I will only be brewing this once a year. It makes me feel like an alcholic.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
valrune
post May 14 2008, 09:06 PM
Post #62

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 11,564

QUOTE(Alpha Male @ Jun 17 2007, 11:35 AM) *
Here is one of my tried and true recipes I thought I would share with all of you. I think that this last batch was the best ever so I'll give you that variation.

5 gallons

Grain:

13# Ida Pils
3# orange blossom honey
1# Clear Belgian candi sugar (sugar
1# Honey malt
.5# carapils

single infusion mash at 150 degrees for 1 hour

hops:

2 oz hallertauer 60 min =26 ibu's
spices:

1.5oz. orange peel
1.25oz. corriander
.5oz. Ginger root
Irish moss

spices and moss added in the last 15 minutes of the boil

Add honey in while chilling at 180 degree mark (very important)

Yeast is wyeast 3787 with a starter. Have never used anything else on this beer so I cannot suggest any subs. I'm sure anyting belgianish would be fine.

Now you HAVE !!! to let this on set. Seems like 4-5 months at least. The longer it sets the smoother and more "stupid" it gets. Meaning it gets smoother and easier to drink, and will get you into trouble. On this last one I am down to the last couple of bottles. It is 8 months old and really hitting it's prime.

Starting gravity will be around 1.090 and finish about 1.014-1.018. if you have any problems getting it to drop put in some champaigne yeast and watch it closely.

You may find this one to be a little "hot" (alcohol) at transfers. very normal, RDWHAHB.

Have fun Alpha Male (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/withstupid.gif)

I have a silly question.........What is Ida Pils? I know its a pilsner grain but I can't find any form of the "Ida" style. Please forgive my stupidity!

This post has been edited by valrune: May 14 2008, 09:10 PM

+Quote Post
earthtone
post May 18 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #63

Brewmaster

Member No.: 12,118

ummm yeah I am pretty new at this as well but my LHBS doesn't carry an Ida Pills.....whats an alternative grain to use. I really want to make this one!

+Quote Post
MicCullen
post May 18 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #64

Brewmaster

Member No.: 8,767

QUOTE(valrune @ May 14 2008, 07:06 PM) *
I have a silly question.........What is Ida Pils? I know its a pilsner grain but I can't find any form of the "Ida" style. Please forgive my stupidity!

QUOTE(earthtone @ May 18 2008, 10:00 AM) *
ummm yeah I am pretty new at this as well but my LHBS doesn't carry an Ida Pills.....whats an alternative grain to use. I really want to make this one!

answer to both

IDA pils is a domestic grown pilsner malt it comes from Cargyl(sp) malting and is fro Idaho hens Idaho.

Personally I think any good pilsner malt should work fine for this recipe, I have some Gambrinus Pilsner malt from BC I am going to use for it next weekend.
You could probably even use the lightest possible 2-row "pale malt" you can get. Weyerman, Dingeman, Castle etc.

+Quote Post
beerbum
post May 19 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #65

Homebrewer

Member No.: 11,453

QUOTE(Alpha Male @ Jun 17 2007, 10:35 AM) *
Here is one of my tried and true recipes I thought I would share with all of you. I think that this last batch was the best ever so I'll give you that variation.

5 gallons

Grain:

13# Ida Pils
3# orange blossom honey
1# Clear Belgian candi sugar (sugar
1# Honey malt
.5# carapils

single infusion mash at 150 degrees for 1 hour

hops:

spices:

1.5oz. orange peel
1.25oz. corriander
.5oz. Ginger root
Irish moss

Add honey in while chilling at 180 degree mark (very important)

Yeast is wyeast 3787 with a starter. Have never used anything else on this beer so I cannot suggest any subs. I'm sure anyting belgianish would be fine.

Now you HAVE !!! to let this on set. Seems like 4-5 months at least. The longer it sets the smoother and more "stupid" it gets. Meaning it gets smoother and easier to drink, and will get you into trouble. On this last one I am down to the last couple of bottles. It is 8 months old and really hitting it's prime.

Starting gravity will be around 1.090 and finish about 1.014-1.018. if you have any problems getting it to drop put in some champaigne yeast and watch it closely.

You may find this one to be a little "hot" (alcohol) at transfers. very normal, RDWHAHB.

Have fun Alpha Male (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/withstupid.gif)

I am looking to do an extract of this recipe and I'm new to converting AG to extract. I would use everything above, but what DME would get me close to IDA pils? Also, using the AG to extract formula, I calculated that I would need about 9.8 lbs of DME, W= (5*90) / 46. Does this follow with what you conversion brewers would do?

+Quote Post
ewanzel
post May 19 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #66

Brewmaster

Member No.: 9,191

QUOTE(beerbum @ May 19 2008, 09:21 PM) *
I am looking to do an extract of this recipe and I'm new to converting AG to extract. I would use everything above, but what DME would get me close to IDA pils? Also, using the AG to extract formula, I calculated that I would need about 9.8 lbs of DME, W= (5*90) / 46. Does this follow with what you conversion brewers would do?

11 pounds pils will give you an OG around 1.060, so I would go with 9 pounds of extra light DME and add most of it near the end of the boil to keep it from darkening durring the boil.

+Quote Post
andy77
post May 19 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #67

Brewmaster

Member No.: 7,799

QUOTE(ewanzel @ May 19 2008, 07:40 PM) *
11 pounds pils will give you an OG around 1.060, so I would go with 9 pounds of extra light DME and add most of it near the end of the boil to keep it from darkening durring the boil.

Timely post. Right now I'm drinking a glass of a version of this beer made with pils LME. I'd be a good idea to use a LME that's 100% pils instead of DME which is usually 2-row, some carapils and some crystal 10. You'll end up with a cleaner, more authentic tasting product...like I'm drinking right now.

BTW, 2 glasses just kicked my butt!!

This post has been edited by andy77: May 19 2008, 10:29 PM

+Quote Post
valrune
post May 20 2008, 10:06 PM
Post #68

Stewart

Member No.: 11,564

QUOTE(MicCullen @ May 18 2008, 01:41 PM) *
answer to both

IDA pils is a domestic grown pilsner malt it comes from Cargyl(sp) malting and is fro Idaho hens Idaho.
Personally I think any good pilsner malt should work fine for this recipe, I have some Gambrinus Pilsner malt from BC I am going to use for it next weekend.
You could probably even use the lightest possible 2-row "pale malt" you can get. Weyerman, Dingeman, Castle etc.

Thanks for the reply, My local (30 miles away) store carries Breiss 2 row as the main grain. I'm sure I can improvise in one way or another!

+Quote Post
beerbum
post May 26 2008, 10:43 AM
Post #69

Homebrewer

Am going to deffinately do an extract of this recipe very soon, like now, if I can get the stuff ordered. Here's what it looks like:
5 gallons
9# Extra Light DME
3# Orange blossom honey
1# Clear Belgian candi sugar
1# Honey malt
.5# carapils (Should I still get the carapils and steep them, or should I nix the carapils?)

hops:
spices:

1.5oz. orange peel
1.25oz. corriander
.5oz. Ginger root
Irish moss

Most most DME malt and all LME added at last 15 minutes of boil

Add honey in while chilling at 180 degree mark

Yeast is wyeast 3787 with a starter.

From those with experience, can I use my 6.5g bucket with my airlock or will I need a blow-off? When should I add the cadi sugar? I am thinking at flame out...?

+Quote Post
beerbum
post May 26 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #70

Homebrewer

QUOTE(beerbum @ May 26 2008, 10:43 AM) *
Am going to deffinately do an extract of this recipe very soon, like now, if I can get the stuff ordered. Here's what it looks like:
5 gallons
9# Extra Light DME
3# Orange blossom honey
1# Clear Belgian candi sugar
1# Honey malt (Steep the honey malt)
.5# carapils (Should I still get the carapils and steep them, or should I nix the carapils?)

hops:
spices:

1.5oz. orange peel
1.25oz. corriander
.5oz. Ginger root
Irish moss

Most most DME malt at last 15 minutes of boil(update from last post, there would be no LME in this, duu)

Add honey in while chilling at 180 degree mark

Yeast is wyeast 3787 with a starter.

From those with experience, can I use my 6.5g bucket with my airlock or will I need a blow-off? When should I add the cadi sugar? I am thinking at flame out...?

There would be no LME in the recipe, du. If possible, I will crack the honey malt and carapils and steep them.

+Quote Post
Alpha Male
post Jun 9 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #71

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,203

QUOTE(rustybrew @ May 5 2008, 01:12 PM) *
Would Safebrew T-58 be a good yeast for this brew? If so what temperatures would you ferment at?

I haven't used T-58, If you are looking for a good dry yeast maybe brewform blanche would be a better choice. I would still go with the 3787 though.

+Quote Post
MicCullen
post Jun 9 2008, 08:13 PM
Post #72

Brewmaster

Member No.: 8,767

QUOTE(Alpha Male @ Jun 9 2008, 04:00 PM) *
I haven't used T-58, If you are looking for a good dry yeast maybe brewform blanche would be a better choice. I would still go with the 3787 though.

I got around do doing this one finally, weekend before last. I took a couple of liberties with the spicing, I used a 10 oz jar of marmalade, and 1/2 teaspoon of Chinese 5-Spice, along with 1.25 Oz of cracked Homegrown Corriander.

The only problem I had was I over sparged and had a high quantity of wort when it came time to add the honey. After adding the honey the S.G. only was @ 1.084, but I got a full 6 gallons into the fermentor using whole hops.

It's been 8 days and the gravity has gone from 1.084 to 1.034 using a nice slurry of WLP575 belgian Ale Blend. Tasting samples are very damned tasty by the way.

+Quote Post
Ortegabrew
post Jun 13 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 12,183

A few stupid questions. Going to give this beer a shot with a 20 gallon batch.

What is the prefered fermenting temp?

I do not want to tie up the fermentor (heated and cooled jacketed) for more than two weeks. I plan on kegging all of the beer. Would you rack it to the 5 gallon kegs after two weeks and let them sit in a cool area for a few months (cool being 74 degrees in FL). Or, should we keg the beer, carbonate it, and then let them sit in the fridge for a few months before tasting? Sorry for the elementary questions but I am a newbee and only have 3 batches under my belt. Thanks for the help.

+Quote Post
Alpha Male
post Jun 15 2008, 10:45 AM
Post #74

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,203

QUOTE(Ortegabrew @ Jun 13 2008, 01:16 PM) *
A few stupid questions. Going to give this beer a shot with a 20 gallon batch.

What is the prefered fermenting temp?

I do not want to tie up the fermentor (heated and cooled jacketed) for more than two weeks. I plan on kegging all of the beer. Would you rack it to the 5 gallon kegs after two weeks and let them sit in a cool area for a few months (cool being 74 degrees in FL). Or, should we keg the beer, carbonate it, and then let them sit in the fridge for a few months before tasting? Sorry for the elementary questions but I am a newbee and only have 3 batches under my belt. Thanks for the help.

As far as te fermintation temp goes. My basement is about 63f in the winter and 65f in the summer. 64f perfect I guess. If I had to choose between 74f and fridge. I would go with the fridge and forget about it for about 6 months.

I just kegged my last batch with the Belgian strong yeast ( the one I least cared for of the two I had used at transfer) And it was real damn tasty.
It was a mere 8 months old to the day almost. Scary tasty (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/devil.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/devil.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/devil.gif) Mu ha ha ha

This post has been edited by Alpha Male: Jun 15 2008, 10:46 AM

+Quote Post
jwhite751
post Jun 16 2008, 01:36 PM
Post #75

Brewer

Member No.: 2,302

QUOTE(rustybrew @ May 5 2008, 02:12 PM) *
Would Safebrew T-58 be a good yeast for this brew? If so what temperatures would you ferment at?

T-58 may be an excellent yeast to use on this brew. I have used it in my last 2 batches with good results. It has a peppery, spicy flavor that should go well with this beer. Also, it is one of the fastest yeast I have ever used. I used it at 68 degrees and had bubbles in 2 hours and it has finished in 2 days both times. Next time I will try and brew at 65 degrees just to slow it down a little.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2019 - 08:01 AM