Reply to this topicStart new topic
> how to make a Polish mead?
wayneb
post Aug 4 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #16

Assistant Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,313

Good luck with that yeast. I've never had success fermenting high gravity musts with any liquid yeast culture (I use either EC-1118 or Uvaferm 43 from Lallemand), but as always, YMMV. Let us know how it goes!

This post has been edited by wayneb: Aug 4 2007, 09:24 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wayneb
post Sep 1 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #17

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 8,313

Well, a meadmaking colleague has recently uncovered something about Polish meads that has me now questioning our "traditional" interpretation of the ratios of honey to water used in Polish recipes. This has taken me completely by surprise, since I'd been using the definitions that I posted in an earlier message within this thread for years (no, actually for decades). This is the first time I've found any information to the contrary.

Here's the source of my current confusion: http://www.apis.pl/?en-miodypitne-poltoraki

The APIS cooperative has been making mead in Poland for, well, longer than most of us have been alive. They are the producers of Jadwiga, Kurpiowski, Lubelski, and other well known brands. As you can see from reading the page I've linked above, they use 720 g of honey in every liter of Poltorak, and 610g of honey in every liter of Dwojniak. According to Ken Schramm, as well as the National Honey Board, etc. every gallon of honey weighs on average, 11.77 lbs. That means that the gallon weighs 5.34 kg, and thus every liter of honey weighs about 1.4 kg (1 liter is 0.264 US gallons). One half liter of honey is thus 0.7 kg. Note that the ratio of honey to water in the Poltoraks from APIS is thus about 1:1, which is our interpretation of the traditional Dwojniak. The amount of honey in a Dwojniak from APIS is closer to what we traditionally considered as used in a Trojniak, etc.

The discrepancy here is something that I can't easily explain, so I'd like to ask the Polish mead experts out there to help to clear up this confusion. Moonjava, are you still out there?? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/eh.gif)

+Quote Post
ScubaStuff
post Feb 19 2008, 09:42 AM
Post #18

Group: New Member
Member No.: 11,402

QUOTE(wayneb @ Sep 1 2007, 04:56 PM) *
Well, a meadmaking colleague has recently uncovered something about Polish meads that has me now questioning our "traditional" interpretation of the ratios of honey to water used in Polish recipes. This has taken me completely by surprise, since I'd been using the definitions that I posted in an earlier message within this thread for years (no, actually for decades). This is the first time I've found any information to the contrary.

The discrepancy here is something that I can't easily explain, so I'd like to ask the Polish mead experts out there to help to clear up this confusion. Moonjava, are you still out there?? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/eh.gif)

So wayneb... did you find any more information on this contradiction?

I have been doing some research, and found this website to contradict what I also beleived was true. I am attempting to formulate some mead batch concentrations and am a little confused.

+Quote Post
BeesNBrews
post Aug 18 2008, 09:43 PM
Post #19

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 10,497

New reply on an old topic...

Since I am bottling my new crop of honey I thought I would throw this in. The Polish Mead website lists the weights as 610g honey to 390g H20 [presumably]. This amounts to a weight to weight ratio 1.5:1 leading to the confusion of the Dwojniak having a 1.5:1 ratio when the cited ratios make that a Poltorak.

If you take honey by volume in our recipes a 1:1 Dwojniak would be 2 qt honey to 2 qt water that would weigh 6#:4.2# for a ratio of 1.42:1 by weight. Now, take a high quality dry honey well below the 18% needed for storage and you could get close to rounding that figure to 1.5:1

+Quote Post
BeesNBrews
post Aug 29 2008, 11:21 PM
Post #20

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 10,497

All this on Polish meads, has anybody got one going?

I started a Piątniak just after making the last post. Are there any other flavors/spices to add to that particular Polish mead?

+Quote Post
bales
post Sep 12 2008, 10:29 PM
Post #21

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 7,540

I started one using dark (fall) local honey last year, when I started this thread. It did not do well and I added more water (to 6g) and then it fermented well and I bottled it. Being 24# of dark fall honey, it was rather phenolic yet nutty flavored. Local fall honey here ferments a tad phenolic in aroma. That is fine for ABC or blackberries or the like, but not some Polish knockoff.

Might be ok to add a # or 2 of the dark stuff for the final addition. I like the taste of the dark honey but its too weird fermented. It is pretty consistant with the phenols accross the years.

I think a better mix would be some Lyle's sryup (go easy) and just use clover honey with some spices and a touch of fruit or raisins.

I plan on some more exotic Polish ones this fall. I got some access to some good honey for a good price (next to nothing I think) and have some primaries open again. I plan on 1g/3g honey/water and then add 1g honey in a few steps as it ferments it way down. Well at least I hope so. I also plan to use EC1118 yeast (which I normally can't stand). With honey being added late in teh ferment this yeast will not ruin the taste of the mead. That and age and some oak chips. At that price I can afford to try some stuff I would not normally attempt. I have never had much luck with mixing more honey in later on. And a bottle or two of everclear....or I might have to distill this never ending tupelo mead that won't stop and use it to boost this mead into the range I am looking for.

+Quote Post
stout_fan
post Sep 23 2008, 12:45 PM
Post #22

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,809

Well, First off it helps to be Polish (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

Just joking.
At the IMF I was a bit shocked to find out ALL Polish meads are boiled.
Non boiled varieties have to be sold as honey wine.

Just when I was getting away from boiling or steeping/pasteurizing and heading back towards non boil meads. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
male
post Dec 12 2008, 09:44 AM
Post #23

Stewart

Member No.: 13,364

QUOTE(stout_fan @ Sep 23 2008, 12:45 PM) *
Well, First off it helps to be Polish (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

Just joking.
At the IMF I was a bit shocked to find out ALL Polish meads are boiled.
Non boiled varieties have to be sold as honey wine.

Just when I was getting away from boiling or steeping/pasteurizing and heading back towards non boil meads. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sad.gif)

Stout_fan,
it isn't true , that ALL Polish meads are boiled.Believe me, I'm from Poland.
Only spicy meads are boiled.
Non boiled meads are sold as meads, not honey wines.Honey wine means in Poland a wine sweetened after fermentation with honey.

+Quote Post
male
post Dec 12 2008, 09:57 AM
Post #24

Stewart

QUOTE(wayneb @ Sep 1 2007, 06:56 PM) *

Here's the source of my current confusion: http://www.apis.pl/?en-miodypitne-poltoraki

The APIS cooperative has been making mead in Poland for, well, longer than most of us have been alive. They are the producers of Jadwiga, Kurpiowski, Lubelski, and other well known brands. As you can see from reading the page I've linked above, they use 720 g of honey in every liter of Poltorak, and 610g of honey in every liter of Dwojniak. According to Ken Schramm, as well as the National Honey Board, etc. every gallon of honey weighs on average, 11.77 lbs. That means that the gallon weighs 5.34 kg, and thus every liter of honey weighs about 1.4 kg (1 liter is 0.264 US gallons). One half liter of honey is thus 0.7 kg. Note that the ratio of honey to water in the Poltoraks from APIS is thus about 1:1, which is our interpretation of the traditional Dwojniak. The amount of honey in a Dwojniak from APIS is closer to what we traditionally considered as used in a Trojniak, etc.

Wayneb,
Półtorak really means 1 volume of honey and 0.5 volume of water.

This post has been edited by male: Dec 12 2008, 10:34 AM

+Quote Post
male
post Feb 11 2015, 03:16 AM
Post #25

Stewart

QUOTE(male @ Dec 12 2008, 09:57 AM) *
Wayneb,
Półtorak really means 1 volume of honey and 0.5 volume of water.

Edit : this is a commercial definition of Półtorak http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUri...040:0045:EN:PDF
So Półtorak from Apis is a Dwójniak.

This post has been edited by male: Feb 11 2015, 03:22 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2018 - 02:41 AM