IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

45 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> This probably sounds weird, but..., ... Do any of you make your own CO2?
Oldfart
post Nov 13 2003, 07:43 PM
Post #31

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,081

QUOTE(slackjawedyokel @ Nov 13 2003, 05:20 PM)
How would a fermenting wort react if if were kept under vaccum?  Would there be enough 02 dissolved for the yeast to work?  Maybe some type of check valve would be useful here.  Otherwise, you could use the bag method, and just put the compressor in the bag, run it till empty, then set it back up to refill.  Grainger may have some small compressors in their book.  If you are ready to start building this (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)   and are interested, I'll give a call to the company I worked for, and see who their vender is. 

geez, I think I might agree with Hop (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/blush.gif) -yokel

Slack - If there is any redeeming wisdom in this thread, it is Hop's.

Thanks for the offer to help, if the company is in a position to offer free compressors to starving inventors, I'm all for it! Needs to be like a SCUBA tank compressor, lubed with vegetable oil or whatever they use.

What happens to fermentation under a vacuum? Interesting question. Do Denver brewers do anything different to account for lower atmospheric pressure? Dunno...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave Chase
post Nov 13 2003, 08:20 PM
Post #32

Brewer

Member No.: 223

:eh?: (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
slackjawedyokel
post Nov 13 2003, 09:24 PM
Post #33

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 796

Oldfart Posted on Nov 13 2003, 07:43 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE (slackjawedyokel @ Nov 13 2003, 05:20 PM)
How would a fermenting wort react if if were kept under vaccum? Would there be enough 02 dissolved for the yeast to work? Maybe some type of check valve would be useful here. Otherwise, you could use the bag method, and just put the compressor in the bag, run it till empty, then set it back up to refill. Grainger may have some small compressors in their book. If you are ready to start building this  and are interested, I'll give a call to the company I worked for, and see who their vender is.

geez, I think I might agree with Hop  -yokel 

Slack - If there is any redeeming wisdom in this thread, it is Hop's.

Thanks for the offer to help, if the company is in a position to offer free compressors to starving inventors, I'm all for it! Needs to be like a SCUBA tank compressor, lubed with vegetable oil or whatever they use.

What happens to fermentation under a vacuum? Interesting question. Do Denver brewers do anything different to account for lower atmospheric pressure? Dunno... 

Time to brew a batch, then bid on the ebay auction for the satelitte mission that Sneezy posted the link to. I wonder if they consider 5 gallons of beer a small personal item. Then we need to design a new airlock that will work in zero gravity...any ideas? Perhaps we need to make this an action item. Where would the yeast settle... hmm. Fermenting in space has become a logistical maelstrom. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/hehe.gif) -yokel

+Quote Post
dparilla
post Nov 13 2003, 11:50 PM
Post #34

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 789

I read a winemaking article that talks about using a "co2 pot." You simply direct the flow of CO2 from a fermentation into a second carboy to displace the air in it before filling with wine. I can post clips from the book, but other than low pressure purging it would seem to be too low an output. But I am intrigued, maybe the next time I feel like blowing something up I will mess around with the idea.

Dan

+Quote Post
megavolt121
post Nov 14 2003, 03:30 AM
Post #35

Homebrewer

Member No.: 716

I meant drive to the welding shop to get the tank filled (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

Ok more realistically, I would say the most practical use for c02 produced by fermentation would be for purging your secondary or keg while fermenting. Basically using something like a blowoff tube into the keg covered w/ tinfoil with a pin hole for air to escape.

Quite honestly I dont think it's really worth your time, engery, and most importantly money, to try and reclaim used C02 and compress it into a keg or tank.

+Quote Post
skydiverbob
post Nov 14 2003, 10:26 AM
Post #36

Brewer

Member No.: 765

I manufacture my own methane gas quite often, but never store it.

+Quote Post
Oldfart
post Nov 14 2003, 08:18 PM
Post #37

Brewmaster

QUOTE(megavolt121 @ Nov 14 2003, 03:30 AM)
I meant drive to the welding shop to get the tank filled (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

Ok more realistically, I would say the most practical use for c02 produced by fermentation would be for purging your secondary or keg while fermenting. Basically using something like a blowoff tube into the keg covered w/ tinfoil with a pin hole for air to escape.

Quite honestly I dont think it's really worth your time, engery, and most importantly money, to try and reclaim used C02 and compress it into a keg or tank.

Mega - Thanks for the advice, and I'll be the first to say that it's probably very good advice. However, comma, oldfarts are not want to listen to young whippersnappers like yourself, as you probably know already...

So I'll press on with this in a low-level way. I'm not worried about what it will cost, I think it will be almost free except for some rudimentary HD plumbing supplies, the old hot water heater that M12 suggested, well, I might even get paid to haul it away. With that money I can maybe get an activated charcoal filter from HD, I think that is needed in the CO2 scrubbing processs but not sure yet. My next low-level task is to collect CO2 from my next ferment, just to see how much I can collect, you have seen some wildly varying estimates of collectable CO2 in previous posts here.

What's sort of amusing here is that I really have no interest in kegging. So why am I doing this?

+Quote Post
Guest_Kelphaed_*
post Nov 14 2003, 08:52 PM
Post #38

Guests

Why? Because you've lost your mind, obviously (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

Seriously, I hope this works! I've got a plan for a CO2 powered can-opener, and I think, together, we could become rich.

(IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
megavolt121
post Nov 14 2003, 11:27 PM
Post #39

Homebrewer

Member No.: 716

QUOTE(Oldfart @ Nov 15 2003, 01:18 AM)
Mega - Thanks for the advice, and I'll be the first to say that it's probably very good advice. However, comma, oldfarts are not want to listen to young whippersnappers like yourself, as you probably know already...

Wow an oldfart is telling me that's good advice! Its ok we young whippersnappers dont like to listen to oldfarts either (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cheers.gif)

+Quote Post
Walt
post Nov 15 2003, 01:58 AM
Post #40

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,254

Us young whippersnappers just go and get our CO2 tanks filled for 9 bucks, and spend that wasted time drinking..
(IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cool.gif)

Walt

+Quote Post
Oldfart
post Nov 15 2003, 02:18 AM
Post #41

Brewmaster

QUOTE(Walt @ Nov 15 2003, 01:58 AM)
Us young whippersnappers just go and get our CO2 tanks filled for 9 bucks, and spend that wasted time drinking..
(IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cool.gif)

Walt

Well, Walt, if all this CO2 production stuff works out, and I corner the market, and you drive up to "Oldfart's CO2 Sales And Service", waving your nine bucks around, don't be too surprised if you get laughed off the lot. Nine bucks -- Ha! Hey, Walt, it's ninety now... Meanwhile, I'll be sitting in my big house on the hill, relaxing and enjoying a homebrew... ](IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
skydiverbob
post Nov 15 2003, 11:02 AM
Post #42

Brewer

QUOTE(Oldfart @ Nov 15 2003, 12:18 AM)
Well, Walt, if all this CO2 production stuff works out, and I corner the market, and you drive up to "Oldfart's CO2 Sales And Service", waving your nine bucks around, don't be too surprised if you get laughed off the lot. Nine bucks -- Ha! Hey, Walt, it's ninety now... Meanwhile, I'll be sitting in my big house on the hill, relaxing and enjoying a homebrew... ]<!--emo&:)-->(IMG:http://forums.homebrew.com/html/emoticons/devil.gif) <!--endemo-->

And the lot will be empty at $90 a bottle, lol.

+Quote Post
Oldfart
post Nov 15 2003, 11:16 AM
Post #43

Brewmaster

QUOTE(skydiverbob @ Nov 15 2003, 11:02 AM)
QUOTE(Oldfart @ Nov 15 2003, 12:18 AM)
Well, Walt, if all this CO2 production stuff works out, and I corner the market, and you drive up to "Oldfart's CO2 Sales And Service", waving your nine bucks around, don't be too surprised if you get laughed off the lot. Nine bucks -- Ha! Hey, Walt, it's ninety now... Meanwhile, I'll be sitting in my big house on the hill, relaxing and enjoying a homebrew... ]<!--emo&:)-->(IMG:http://forums.homebrew.com/html/emoticons/devil.gif) <!--endemo-->

And the lot will be empty at $90 a bottle, lol.

No, the lot will be full because l'll only charge $5 a pop, only Walt will be charged $90 (for poking fun at an oldfart). (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
skydiverbob
post Nov 15 2003, 11:54 AM
Post #44

Brewer

[quote=Oldfart,Nov 15 2003, 09:16 AM]QUOTE]
And the lot will be empty at $90 a bottle, lol.[/quote]
No, the lot will be full because l'll only charge $5 a pop, only Walt will be charged $90 (for poking fun at an oldfart). (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif) [/quote]
Don't worry Walt, I got your back, I'll pick yours up also, that'll show the old fart, LOL (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/beerchug.gif) ROLF

+Quote Post
Walt
post Nov 15 2003, 12:27 PM
Post #45

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,254

Haha!!

Walt

+Quote Post

45 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2020 - 08:44 PM