Total Votes: 4
Guests cannot vote 
phalanxausage
post Sep 8 2007, 09:34 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 197

Flying Dog Ales. Located in downtown Denver, just down the street from Coors Field at 2401 Blake Street. All of Flying Dog's regular selection is represented here, along with the occasional seasonal/specialty beer.

Atmosphere
It's clean & funky, with lots of Hunter S. Thompson & Ralph Steadman paraphernalia on the walls. Aggressively informal in the best possible sense. There's usually a modest crowd, consisting of a few Flying Dog employees as well as folks from other breweries in the area along with the normal retinue of good beer fans.

Service
It's been top notch every time I've been there. If the bartender can't answer a question there is somebody nearby who can. Always friendly in my experience and always willing to accomodate dedicated beer lovers. One day I was there when a small group arrived just as they were closing the doors. They seemed understanding but disappointed as they mentioned they had just arrived in town from Hawaii & this was the first place they visited. The bartender had an appointment & couldn't stay but a brewer was hanging out there at the time & volunteered to stick around, pouring them beers & even giving a brief tour. Of course, I stayed with them & the brewer hung out for about an hour and a half just for these guys. I was impressed with the dedication they showed to their customers.

Selection
As previosly mentioned, they have the regular Flying Dog lineup as well as the occasional specialty or weird one-off batch. All as fresh as is humanly possible. Good stuff.

Beer Quality
Yes, the beer's good. Definitely good enough to make stopping in worthwhile. A lot of their lineup consists of good representations of well established styles, with some more creative selections like the whisky barrel aged Horn Dog Barleywine or the (sadly no more) brettannomyces dosed, oak aged Gonzo Imperial Porter or even the cask conditioned/dry hopped beers from the regular lineup served on handpump.

Food
Ain't got any. There is a sports bar type restaurant in the building but it is a separate entity.

Tour
They have scheduled tours each afternoon. It's a damn fine tour, with enthusiastic, passionate guides. If you are lucky you will also get a tour of Stranahan's, the distillery located within the same facility. Clark, the distilller, is a hell of a guy.

Overall Impression
One of my all-time favorite breweries to visit, highly recommended to anybody in Denver for more than a couple hours.

This post has been edited by MtnBrewer: Sep 9 2007, 01:06 AM
Reason for edit: Reversed poll numbering
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bbrodka
post Sep 8 2007, 09:41 PM
Post #2

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,519

Same goes for there Frederick, MD tap room as well (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2018 - 11:28 PM