Total Votes: 6
Guests cannot vote 
Jimmy James
post Sep 10 2007, 03:38 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,449

Pizza Port has been serving up "Tasty Grub and Grog" for 20 years. There are 2 locations in Northern San Diego County and one in Southern Orange County http://www.pizzaport.com/map.htm and the microbrewery is in the old Stone facility in San Marcos http://maps.google.com/maps?q=155+Mata+Way...ap&ct=image

Atmosphere: The original location in Solana Beach is low-key and casual with most of the seating being at several long "community" style wooden tables with benches. There are a few smaller tables inside and outside on the patio which fill up quickly. There is a big-screen TV with surfing videos rolling, and a few arcade games in the back. You order your food at the counter inside and get your beer at the bar. The Carlsbad location is bigger, has a more "open" feel with higher ceilings.

Service: The service is what you expect for a pizza joint - nothing fancy. Beers flow quickly, salads and appetizers come out pretty fast and pizzas can take a while. The employees are friendly.

Beer Selection: There are two chalk-boards, one listing the several beers from other micros they are serving, with the second board listing the house beers. The house beer selection will typically include the Sharkbite Red, Swamis IPA, Port's Porter and other ales. They may also serve a seasonal brew that could be a Witbier, Saison, Mild or just about any style of ale, but it will be good. The selections in Carlsbad and San Clemente are similar, with a range of west-coast style ales from light to dark and a Belgian ale or two mixed in for good measure.

Food: Salads are fresh and simple served in a good-size bowl. "Beer-Buddies" are pizza crusts dipped in garlic or cajun spices and go down well with the wings. The pizzas are excellent and are what put the 'port on the map in San Diego before the brews became well known.

Summary: If you are near the North San Diego coast and hungry, thirsty or both, you'd do well to stop in one of these locations. They can get crowded during peak times for lunch on weekends and dinner every night. Check their website for announcements about events and brewery tours if you want to visit the San Marcos brewery http://www.pizzaport.com/

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 10 2007, 04:14 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,342

I stop in to the Solana Beach location at least 2-3 times per month. Another thing of note is that Pizza Port hosts 3 beer festivals per year at their Carlsbad site; a Belgian Beer fest, a Strong Ale fest and the Real Ale festival. All 3 are worth going to if you are in the area.

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Sep 10 2007, 05:44 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,655

I stopped by Pizza Port at Solana Beach when I was in San Diego at the end of July. My buddy and I didn't eat there, but we did try several beers and were very happy with what we got. He had a porter and I had a red. A fantastic way to finish up a morning on the beach.

+Quote Post
chuck_d
post Apr 4 2009, 01:41 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster
Group Icon

Group: Guest Moderator
Member No.: 2,141

I used to live up the street from Port Solana, that place is maybe my favorite brewery in SD. I'm a pizza snob, but the pizza there is as good as any you'll find in SD. Their beers are some of the best in the market IMO, I love Port Brewing. Shark Bite is probably the red that CJ is referring to, it's one of their flagship beers. I had the The Hop 15 when it first came out, before it won silver at GABF for IIPA. I tasted a bomber of it recently, and I don't know if it's because it's been bottled and shipped across the country or if the recipe has changed slightly, but it wasn't as :knock you out of your seat" bitter on the first swig, which is probably an improvement, the bitterness seems much smoother. SD is the land of IPAs and Port Brewing makes two fine examples with Wipeout and ... oh man, what was the name, High Tide? They have a Shark Attack double red, which is decent but it just makes me wish I was drinking Shark Bite which is perfectly balanced for my tastes, has a good spiciness to it.

I recommend anyone visiting SD hit this spot for the beers and the north county beaches.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2018 - 08:34 PM