IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Brewpubs & Bars Review - How-To

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> San Diego (Escondido), CA - Stone Brewery & Restaurant, Microbrewery, pub, restaurant and gardens
Stone Brewery and Restaurant
Rate Stone 1-10
10 - Excellent [ 3 ] ** [50.00%]
9 [ 2 ] ** [33.33%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 1 ] ** [16.67%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
1 - awful [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 6
Guests cannot vote 
Jimmy James
post Sep 10 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,449

Stone has perhaps elevated the brewpub experience with the opening of their new brewery, pub and restaurant in Escondido. Nothing was spared in the fabrication of Stone's new brewery from the custom German-built brewery, the over-the-top architecture of the restaurant, or the sprawling gardens ripped from the cover of Sunset magazine. Located in the North San Diego County community of Escondido - http://www.stonebrew.com/about_us/maps/storedirections.pdf

Atmosphere: The architecture of the restaurant area is urban-modern with lots of steel, glass and concrete - an impressive setting that the employees are happy to talk about - such as the impressive granite slab bar-top in the tasting room that was a reclaimed throw-away from a local slab yard. The restaurant is open and lively with a large bar. Outside there is additional seating plus another patio and bar area where special tastings are sometimes held. On the way in, chances are you strolled by the gardens which include large lawn chairs and service. In other words you have it all here - indoors, patio and garden.

Service: Friendly but sometimes running slow on busy days. Stone holds a lot of events and lunch and evenings can be busy. The vibe here is definitely about going slow and enjoying yourself as well as the surroundings, so nothing is rushed.

Beer Selection: Very few locations can rival Stone's selection which includes the popular house brews such as the Pale Ale, IPA, Levitation, Ruination and Arrogant Bastard, as well as less common selections which rotate through such as Old Guardian Barleywine, Russian Imperial Stout, Double Dry-Hopped IPA, Vertical Epic and on and on... As if that isn't enough there will also be a large selection of domestic and foreign microbrews that would rival the selection of many high-end pubs on its own. Don't be surprised to find selections from US micros like Lagunitas, Avery and Allagash and imports such as Verhaege, Westmalle, Orval and Rochefort.

Food: Eclectic would be an appropriate description. Not typical pub fare, but crafted to pair with the beers. The Arrogant Bastard Ale Onion Rings are not to be missed, while the Buffalo Burger is solid but not memorable. The food complements the overall experience but is not the star of the show here.

Summary: Stone is the premier "destination" brewpub in the San Diego area. It is easy to spend the better part of an afternoon relaxing on the premises, possibly touring the brewery, and enjoying the great brews and food. The employees are knowledgeable and enthusiastic and eager to assist. Stone is a 30-minute drive from San Diego and easily reached, there is plenty of parking. Take a designated driver along and plan on spending some time. Check their website for listing of events such as nighttime movie screenings in the gardens or festivals: www.stonebrew.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Sep 11 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,655

My buddy lives in Escondido, so of course Stone was our first destination when I went to visit him this past summer. I agree with everything above, but have to add that the brewery/restaurant building has NO sign telling you what it is! In their Arrogance, you either know where it is, or you're not worthy. The only indication that it's Stone is a semi-trailer or two with the AB logo on it.

Duck tacos -- interesting and good. But overall, the food is overpriced for what you get.

The tasting room and gift shop are great. We went on a private tour and then sat at the tasting bar, chatting with several Stone employees over numerous samplers. Yes, DEFINITELY bring a designated driver!!!

+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 11 2007, 02:26 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,342

The beer selection is exactly what you would expect from Stone, top notch with a heavy slant toward the other local breweries. Stone really is a great proponent of the San Diego brewing scene. That being said, the food is just fair and borders on odd; it seems like they are so wrapped up in being different that they forced the menu to fit this mold. I found myself looking through the menu saying things like "Wow that would be really good except for ________ " on numerous things.

+Quote Post
LoveThemBrowns
post Feb 22 2008, 08:01 AM
Post #4

Brewer

Member No.: 5,511

I was in SD last week for work and two of my coworkers and I made the trip for dinner and beers. Like others have said, the food is OK but expensive but the beers available on tap and in bottles are great! especially for someone who doesn't get to try some of them very often. The atmosphere is good, and the design of the place is just jaw-dropping. We especially loved the outdoor firepit thing. The brewery had me panting!

A very cool place to go.

+Quote Post
yolandas
post Feb 25 2009, 04:47 PM
Post #5

Group: New Member
Member No.: 14,099

I hit Stone Brewery every time on my California Vacations.
That place ROCKS!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2018 - 07:16 PM