IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Brewpubs & Bars Review - How-To

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> San Diego, CA O'Briens Pub (Convoy area)
Rate O'Briens
How do you rate O'Briens Pub
10 (Outstanding) [ 3 ] ** [50.00%]
9 [ 3 ] ** [50.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
1 (Not even for Free Beer) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 6
Guests cannot vote 
Tim
post Sep 13 2007, 11:31 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,342

O'Briens is consistently rated as one of the top 25 places in the country to get a beer. San Diegans know it by its slogan as the Hoppiest Place on Earth because owner Tom Nickel consistently has 3-4 premier DIPA and several other IPAs on tap in addition to a wide selection of other beers. O'Briens

Atmosphere: O'Briens is the qunitessential local pub, dim lighting with plenty of indoor and outdoor seating. There are several TVs inside including 1 really nice HD plasma screen. Tom is a big fan of English Premier league soccer so there is always a list of upcoming games posted on the chalkboard. This is also a great place to go and watch the NFL or other major sporting events. There is a definite local feel here.

Service: The staff is always really friendly and able to accomodate what you need but it is still a pub so don't go looking to be pampered.

Beer Selection: This is where O'Briens really shines. There are always over 20 beers on tap and usually at least 1 cask conditioned beer on a beer engine. In addition there is a 2 page bottle list covering verticals of local favorites as well as one of the best selections of Belgian beers I have ever seen. Both the on tap and bottle list selections are available on the website so you can check out what treats you are in store for before you arrive.
On Tap
Bottle List

Food: This is traditional pub food: burgers, fries, soup and sandwiches, etc. Sunday and Mondays are fish taco and fish and chips nights.
Menu

Notes: Tom Nickel is a major contributor to the local San Diego brewing scene and is involved in the organization of several major festivals and competitions including the Pizza Port fests and the San Diego Craft Brew competition. Additionally, he was an award winning brewer at another San Diego brewery before taking over O'Briens. This is a major QUAFF hangout and club members get a 10% discount on Saturdays. There is a mailing list sign up where you will get updates of upcoming beers, soccer games and additional events going on at the pub.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jimmy James
post Sep 19 2007, 04:27 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 8,449

This place is really amazing - especially given the location in an otherwise unexciting industrial part of town. O'Briens will let you purchase one bottle for carry-out and given the selection this place is not only a great pub but a good place to go if you want to snag a bottle of some hard-to-find Belgian brew.

+Quote Post
Bucky
post Nov 15 2007, 05:23 PM
Post #3

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 10,537

O'Briens is one of the best beer bars in America. The staff is cool and the food is good, but the beer selection...? oh yeah! The Wit's End and The Liar's Club have good Belgian selections, but O'Briens is head and shoulders above anything in Southern California.

+Quote Post
CRAZEBrain
post Feb 11 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #4

Homebrewer

Member No.: 11,324

A little more than a year ago I was planning a business trip to San Diego. I contacted a semi-frequent participant on the HBD who I knew was from the San Diego area and asked him which brewery tours were "don't miss." He said the heck with the tours (although he told me which ones to take). Instead he invited me to meet him and others from QUAFF (one of the local homebrew clubs) at O'Briens.

At the time they had just tapped a keg of DUCHESSE DE BOURGOGNE - my first taste of a Belgian sour (Flander's Red). OMG I fell in love with both the beer and O'Briens that night. I made three trips to this bar during my five nights in town and it will be one of my first visits when I go back to SD. It is a little hard to find the first time, but it is worth the trip.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2018 - 11:28 PM