Total Votes: 2
Guests cannot vote 
mach5
post Dec 31 2007, 10:02 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,983

This review is specific to the Iron Hill Brewery location in Lancaster, PA. If you would like to rate other locations, please add a thread for those locations as well.

The Iron Hill Brewery, Lancaster, opened early December 2007. It is located just across from F&M College at 781 Harrisburg Pike. There is ample parking at the rear of the restaurant. I suggest making reservations well in advance. I called the day we were going to visit and the restaurant was booked until 8 PM (it was a Saturday). They do allow you to call ahead and put your name on the wait list, which we did and were quoted 45 mins - 1 hr wait, we arrived and waited approximately another 15 minutes. There is ample seating in the waiting area, plus there are other shops nearby that you can visit if the wait is extremely long.

Atmosphere:
The atmosphere was that of a modern twist on an old style brewpub. The place is very large with three seating sections. I found it to be very noisy and busy regardless of the way the building is broken up. The brewery is not really visible from the inside of the restaurant, it can be seen from the outside of the building as you walk around the corner. We had seating in a booth that was very large and roomy.

Service:
The service was excellent. No sooner do you finish a beer and they are right there asking for a refill or if you empty a glass and put it at the edge of the table it is gone before you turn your head away. The food came fairly quickly. I did not feel like I had been waiting forever for food despite the high volume of customers that they had that evening. We ordered two beer samplers and the waitress came with a tray of the beers and was able to describe each beer and pull it off the tray just by looking at the beers. It seems to me that the wait staff has been well educated on the product.

Beer Selection:
The beer was awesome. They had 10 beers on tap that evening and every single one of them was pretty good. The highlights of the beer were that they had their Ironbound Ale on nitro, which was quite different, but I liked the CO2 version better. They had an excellent porter which was very rich with chocolate malt. I really liked their Hopzilla, and the Ironbound Ale will surprise you with its hoppiness as well. Their Belgian seasonal was an OK beer, not great for a belgian, but a good beer in general. The raspberry beer is good for the non-beer geeks as it has a nice raspberry aroma without going overboard on the raspberry flavor. If you have a BMC'er in your party then suggest the light lager, as it will impress as a much more flavorful BMC light clone. They also have the amber lager which will impress the Yuengling lager lovers in your group. There is really a beer for everyone in this lineup. One downside to this place is the price of the beer. I think in general the pints were running $5-6, which seems expensive in Lancaster. It seems to me that they are charging Philly prices in Lancaster. If you want a value get the sampler, they charge $7-8, and we got 10, 4 oz beers.

Food:
I had the ribs, which were quite good. They had a nice smoke flavor and were done just right. The general menu is pub-food plus they have a selection of wood-grilled pizzas which SWMBO tried and seemed to enjoy. The food is a little pricey, but that is something you would expect from this style of restaurant. It was certainly worth the price as it was done right and the portions did not disappoint.

Summary:
If you are looking for a nice evening out for the beer lover or not, this is a nice place to go. You can get out of there spending $50 for two, plus tip, but that is pushing it. If you want to drink like a fish, this isn't your place as the cost of the beer is quite high. Overall, I would definitely come back here for a special occasion such as a birthday or anniversary but it is not your every week dining kind of place.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcl143
post Jan 3 2008, 01:54 PM
Post #2

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 5,874

I voted 8, because of the price. It is pricey. That being said the beers are great, the sampler is nice, the food is great. The prices are probably what will make me less likely to go back soon.

The Ironbound Ale is great for the hoppieness. And the Porter is good with the chocolate flavor. The Raspberry wheat is good as well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th February 2018 - 07:09 PM