just-cj
post Jan 21 2008, 02:46 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,655

Summit
High Alpha, Good Aroma

This week's Hop of the Week is Summit. There's not a lot of information about this relatively new hop, but here's what I was able to find.

From Freshops:
Summit New Dwarf Hop Variety

Summit is a dwarf hop variety that was bred by members of American Dwarf Hop Association. It is the first dwarf hop to be bred for production in the United States and it's currently the only hop being grown on low trellis in the Yakima Valley.

The hop has only been in production since 2003, so it's still too early to identify averages for the resin and oil contents. Last year's production had an alpha of 18.2%, beta 4.7% and total oil content of 1.3 mls/100grams. Its cohumulone was relatively low at 27.6%.

Brewers are quite excited about the strong aroma profile that Summit adds to their beer. It has been described as a citrus, grape-fruit flavor. It has been used for bittering and dry hopping.

Brewers Supply Group adds the following information:
Brewers are quite excited about the strong aroma profile that Summit adds to their beer. It has been described as a citrus, grape-fruit flavor. It has been used for bittering and dry hopping. Brewers Supply Group is the exclusive marketer of the Summit hop to the craft brewing industry.
ANALYSIS: (HPLC; based on 2005 and 2006 production only)
-- Alpha acid: 17.5 19.5 %
-- Beta acid: 4.7%
-- COH: 27.6%
-- COL: 47.6%
-- Total Oil Content: 1.3 mls/100 grams
-- Myrcene: 28.0%
-- Carophyllene: 14.5%
-- Humulene: 22.1%
PRODUCTION:2,500 lbs. per acre (2005 and 2006 figures only)
SENSORY ANALYSIS: Brewers are reporting citrus, grapefruit notes in beers using Summit.

Posts here on BrewBoard indicate that Summit gives a strong grapefruit/orange/tangerine/citrus flavor and aroma (some people mentioned "grapefruit bomb," with several reports of onion or garlic. Check out the threads here.

And that's about it. I only used them once, and I will weigh in with a large "no comment" right now, as I don't remember the results clearly other than I wasn't all that impressed. But that could have been a bad recipe, bad brew day, or some other problem -- I really don't remember.

So let's have it, BrewBoard. What questions do you have? What experiences? Recipes? Recommendations? Combinations? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hullabrew2
post Jan 21 2008, 06:27 AM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 9,753

I'll also have to leave it at no comment for the moment, but I have a pound coming at any time (hopefully today) now. I was planning on using them as a prominent hop in my brew after next. I'll make sure to take some good notes and post them here if we don't get many other comments. (Sorry for the somewhat pointless post. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif) )

edit: I guess one question I have is for the "grapefruit bomb" people. Are you getting that result from dry hopping or some other addition? How much are you using?

This post has been edited by hullabrew2: Jan 21 2008, 06:29 AM

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Jan 21 2008, 06:59 AM
Post #3

Brewmaster

QUOTE(hullabrew2 @ Jan 21 2008, 08:27 PM) *
I'll make sure to take some good notes and post them here if we don't get many other comments.
Please post even if we do get a lot of comments!

+Quote Post
barley69
post Jan 21 2008, 06:59 AM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,716

I love it and use it a lot. I have never had a garlic flavor - Very citris like - I bought 2 lbs from fresh hops so I'll be using them oftem- I have a huge IPA with them as my primary hop right now just waiting for a keg to kick to pop it on.

This post has been edited by barley69: Jan 21 2008, 07:00 AM

+Quote Post
DJ in KC
post Jan 21 2008, 07:54 AM
Post #5

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,181

I've used it once for a FWH if I remember the recipe correctly. It really had an onion/garlic odor that didn't carry over to the beer. I liked it enough that a pound should show up sometime this week.

dj

+Quote Post
dagomike
post Jan 21 2008, 08:38 AM
Post #6

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,942

The whole hops are really stinky! Repugnant is the word. I love them in beer though.

They're really high alpha and low cohumulone, which makes them great for bittering in American ales. Lots of bang for the buck here. I find the aroma of just one ounce survives the boil fairly well. Which is good for American ales, not so good for other ales.

When younger, I think, like others, it has a spicy garlic/onion-like aroma. As it ages out a little, it's big citrus pineapple/grapefruit. If you can blend it with some other C-hops I think it's best. I've never done a straight Summit beer. I've got 3 lbs of this stuff, and I plan to use it as my bittering hop in all American ales, and I'll use some for late additions too.

I think this hop has got a bad rep on it's fresh smells. People hear garlic and onions, and they stay away, and when they smell fresh, they run for the hills.

+Quote Post
tripel666
post Jan 21 2008, 08:54 AM
Post #7

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,899

I used Summit pellets in an IPA. I didn't notice any onion/garlic smell, maybe being processed into pellets? I really enjoyed the tangerine taste of the summit bittering hops, with the Amarillo flavor/aroma hops. Made for a great IPA.

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Jan 21 2008, 09:38 AM
Post #8

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 937

I tried them in the Griffin Spit IPA. I didn't care for them at all. They had a solventy aroma like gasoline. That may have been the garlic/onion aroma that dagomike got from them. In any case they were nasty.

+Quote Post
LStaff
post Jan 21 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #9

Brewer

Member No.: 9,790

I bought a pound of pellets over a year ago and I still have 14 ozs. left. Saving them for when I get really, really desperate.

I think they have a nasty flavor and aroma that just ruins any beer. I used an oz dry hops along with 3 ozs of other hops and all I could taste was the summit. Garlic,onions, tangerines, dirt weed, dirty sock flavor coupled with armpit aroma...mmmm...dank (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sarcasm.gif) . It got better with time, but even after a month in the keg, I could still detect that bad weed flavor. Even an oz used at 60 min. with other varieties used in the boil and dry hops and the summit was still noticeable.

Smuttynose dryhopped some DIPA kegs with summit and simcoe, and I could tell right away that it had that dirty summit flavor. yuck.

+Quote Post
al_bob
post Jan 21 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #10

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,588

Ha ha, I love a challenge. I hope you are all wrong about them. I have a pound coming. They sound good. I like Simcoe, and people call it cat pee or armpit.... Maybe this is the beginning of the "S" hops... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/scratch.gif) I'll give it the good 'ol American try..!

Sounds like yet another good hop to blend with EKG...

Again, I will let you know my experiences with Summit, a new hop, for me. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/devil.gif)

+Quote Post
DJ in KC
post Jan 21 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #11

Brewmaster

Just looked up what I did with 3 oz

11 gal post boil

17# British 2-row
5# malted rye
1# Special B (mistake - didn't read the label well - special roast was intended)

1 oz Summit pellets 60
1 oz Summit pellets 20
1 oz Summit pellets 0

Wyeast 1010 slurry

I was happy with it and may make the same mistake again.

dj

This post has been edited by DJ in KC: Jan 21 2008, 07:51 PM

+Quote Post
aarontom
post Jan 21 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #12

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 5,052

I've use summit hops in several ales and IPAs both as a bittering hop as well as for aroma/flavor. The beers have all been excellent with smooth bitterness and citrusy aroma/flavor characteristics. I have never noticed any "onion" aroma or flavor at any time. I would consider summit hops to be a high alpha "C-type" American hop. So far, I love this hop.

This post has been edited by aarontom: Jan 21 2008, 11:10 PM

+Quote Post
Swillbilly
post Jan 22 2008, 08:08 AM
Post #13

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 8,039

I did an all Summit IPA over the summer. I really liked the results. Had a big orangy/citrusy flavor that wasn't too bitter, actually was really smooth. Dry hopped the IPA with them as well and it made for great aroma hop. Entered it in a club comp and it made the Best of Show round but ended up 4th. One comment said it was like sticking your nose in a hop bag. I'd definitely use them again.

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Jan 22 2008, 06:38 PM
Post #14

Brewmaster

Bump -- anyone else with experience with this hop?

+Quote Post
DJ in KC
post Jan 22 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #15

Brewmaster

QUOTE(just-cj @ Jan 22 2008, 05:38 PM) *
Bump -- anyone else with experience with this hop?

Just vacuum sealed a pound of whole that came today from freshops. Nowhere near the onion odor compared to the pellets I used once. Just a hint of it along with a big C hop aroma.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th July 2020 - 06:55 AM