just-cj
post Jan 25 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,655

Ahtanum
New dual-use hop

Ahtanum is a fairly new dual-use hop, known for it's citrus/floral aroma and mellow bittering.

Here's what
Yakima Chief has to say:

(IMG:http://www.yakimachief.com/hopvarieties/images/ahtanumsm.jpg)

AHTANUM

Origin/History:
Ahtanum is an aroma-type cultivar bred by Yakima Chief Ranches. Its name is derived from the area near Yakima where the first hop farm was established in 1869 by Charles Carpenter.
Agronomics:
Ahtanum is tolerant to downy mildew, Peronospera, with good pickability of a small, compact cone.
Maturity: Medium-late
Yield: 2050-2250 kgs per ha./1775-1950 lbs. per acre
Brewing Quality: Used for its aromatic properties and moderate bittering.
Alpha acids: 5.7-6.3%
Beta acids: 5.0-6.5%
Alpha:Beta Ratio: 1.1
Cohumulone (% of alpha acids): 30-35%
Total Oil (Mls. per 100 grams): 0.8-1.2
Caryophyllene (as % of total oils): 9-12%
Farnesene (as % of total oils): 0%
Humulene (as % of total oils): 16-20%
Myrcene (as % of total oils): 50-55%
Storability is fair to good.

From Hop Union (also available at Brew-Monkey):
US AHTANUM
Pedigree: Open pollination
Maturity: Medium-late
Yield: 1990 - 2190 kg./ha. or 1775 - 1950 lb./ac.
Growth Habit: Good
Disease/Pest Susceptibility: Tolerant to downy mildew and Peronospora
Pickability/Drying/Baling: Good
Cone-Structure: Small, compact cone
Lupulin: Fairly yellow, similar to Cascade
Aroma: Floral
Alpha Acid: 5.7 - 6.3% w/w
Beta Acid: 5 - 6.5% w/w
Cohumulone: 30 - 35% of alpha acids
Storageability: Fair to good
Total Oil: 0.8 - 1.2 mls/100 grams
Myrcene: 50 - 55% of whole oil
Humulene: 16 - 20% of whole oil
Carophyllene: 9 - 12% of whole oil
Farnesene: <1% of whole oil
General Trade Perception: Used for its aromatic properties and moderate bittering.
Possible Substitutions: Cascade, Amarillo
Typical Beer Styles: Lager, American Ales
Additional Information: Quite similar to Cascade
Typical Hop Use: Dual purpose

I used Ahtanum several years ago and found it to be quite mild all around. The bitterness was very mellow -- it was supposed to be 40 IBUs, but it didn't taste like it. The flavor and aroma was also very mellow. It's an interesting hop to experiment with.

So, any experiences? Recipes? Comments? Questions? Let's build up the database for this lesser-known hop!

Check out the recent Hop of the Week threads:
Bravo
Pacific Gem
Summit
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Jan 25 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

I found a little more information. According to BYO's Hops Reference Chart, Ahtanum are "Floral, citrus, sharp, and piney." And from Hops Direct: "Ahtanum is similar to, and can be used as an alternative to Cascade and Amarillo. With a floral aroma, Ahtanum is typically used in Lagers and American Ales." (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
VP Brewer
post Jan 26 2008, 10:01 AM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,021

I have an Ahtanum pale ale in secondary right now that I bittered with Chinook and hit with .5 oz of Ahtanum at 30, 20, 10 and 5. I'll hopefully be close to freeing up a keg for this one soon. Still thinking about dry-hopping it - probably in the keg, but that will be a game-time decision. Hope I like it - I have a pound and a half of the stuff in my freezer. I'll probably use it as a sub for Amarillo if I make a JPA.

+Quote Post
zymot
post Jan 26 2008, 03:45 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,254

QUOTE(just-cj @ Jan 25 2008, 11:48 PM) *
I used Ahtanum several years ago and found it to be quite mild all around. The bitterness was very mellow -- it was supposed to be 40 IBUs, but it didn't taste like it. The flavor and aroma was also very mellow. It's an interesting hop to experiment with.

Sounds like a good hop to use in a ESB type of beer. When you want bitterness but you don't want to scream "HOPS ARE IN THIS BEER!"

Does anybody have opinion about Ahtanum being floral or having perfume (Humulus #5) presence?

zymot

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Jan 26 2008, 05:04 PM
Post #5

Brewmaster

I don't remember a strong perfume in it -- Palisades hops gave me that big time, but Ahtanum was just kind of . . . blah all around (for a pale ale). I think you're right -- in an ESB or bitter of some sort, they might work out very well.

+Quote Post
Koop
post Jan 27 2008, 09:54 AM
Post #6

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 10,129

QUOTE(just-cj @ Jan 26 2008, 03:04 PM) *
... Ahtanum was just kind of . . . blah all around (for a pale ale). I think you're right -- in an ESB or bitter of some sort, they might work out very well.

I just put up a Pale Ale made with .75 oz Magnum (60 min) and 1.5 oz Ahtanum (total) added at 15, 10 and flameout. Hope it's not too blah. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sorry.gif) OG 1.052 FG 1.010

+Quote Post
AUGIE91
post Jan 27 2008, 11:59 AM
Post #7

Brewmaster

Member No.: 9,238

QUOTE(zymot @ Jan 26 2008, 03:45 PM) *
Sounds like a good hop to use in a ESB type of beer. When you want bitterness but you don't want to scream "HOPS ARE IN THIS BEER!"

Does anybody have opinion about Ahtanum being floral or having perfume (Humulus #5) presence?

zymot

Is this the Stone IPA aroma hop? On their website it says they use Magnum (bittering I assume), Centennial, and Ahtanum. I've had beers with Centennial before, but perhaps not enough. What's everybody's opinion on the aroma hop in this beer? I did think it was VERY perfumish. Loved the smell. I've been wanting to try Levitation ale, b/c it's just Magnum and Centennial, for comparison sake.

This post has been edited by AUGIE91: Jan 27 2008, 12:00 PM

+Quote Post
treeboy
post Jan 27 2008, 12:12 PM
Post #8

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,497

QUOTE(zymot @ Jan 26 2008, 02:45 PM) *

zymot

I agree with this. I would like to hear of any ESB type recipes with this hop if anyone has any. Not that I have any Ahtanum, but if it's available...

+Quote Post
VP Brewer
post Jan 27 2008, 03:05 PM
Post #9

Brewmaster

Just kegged my Ahtanum APA. It is definitely perfumey and mild compared Cascade or Amarillo. It reminded me a bit of a mild Centennial - the beer being like a milder version of Bells THA. I think it would blend nicely with Centennials, and perhaps a combination of Cascade and Ahtanum might yield something like Centennial.

+Quote Post
cavman
post Jan 27 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #10

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,902

QUOTE(VP Brewer @ Jan 27 2008, 03:05 PM) *
Just kegged my Ahtanum APA. the beer being like a milder version of Bells THA

Doesn't sound like the worst thing. My only experience with this is commercially, Friday I had a Barleywine at my local brewpub dryhopped with this that was very good. http://cambrew.com/seasonals.html Also dryhopped with Simcoe, so hard to say but the mellow grassy(in a good way not intense) aromas were probably from the Ahtanum.

This post has been edited by cavman: Jan 27 2008, 03:11 PM

+Quote Post
VP Brewer
post Jan 27 2008, 05:37 PM
Post #11

Brewmaster

QUOTE(cavman @ Jan 27 2008, 04:08 PM) *
Also dryhopped with Simcoe, so hard to say but the mellow grassy(in a good way not intense) aromas were probably from the Ahtanum.

Didn't get any grassy notes, but I didn't dry hop. Will have to check again later. Seems like what I got is the floral notes of Bells THA without the other hoppy notes.

+Quote Post
cavman
post Jan 27 2008, 05:51 PM
Post #12

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,902

QUOTE(VP Brewer @ Jan 27 2008, 05:37 PM) *
Didn't get any grassy notes, but I didn't dry hop. Will have to check again later. Seems like what I got is the floral notes of Bells THA without the other hoppy notes.

Maybe more accurate would have been Earthy/ floral notes, I attributed the citrus to the Simcoe.

+Quote Post
Koop
post Jan 27 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #13

Assistant Brewer

OK...I've had a few and maybe mushmouth shoutin' here but here's my take - at this time. I kegged an IPA on Jan 11th, OG 1.068, FG 1.013. I hopped with Magnum @60, Cascade and Amarillo @15, Cascade and Ahtanum @ 0 and dry hopped with Amarillo and Ahtanum.

To be blunt I was mightily disappointed. Heavily perfumed and wayyyy too much citrus. It seemed like I had sliced an orange into my beer. I quit sampling it unless I blended it with an amber ale I brewed.

Tonight, a little more than two weeks later it works. I like it! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/shock.gif) Time is a healer, patience is the brewer's friend.

This post has been edited by Koop: Jan 27 2008, 08:54 PM

+Quote Post
AUGIE91
post Jan 27 2008, 08:59 PM
Post #14

Brewmaster

Member No.: 9,238

QUOTE(Koop @ Jan 27 2008, 08:52 PM) *
OK...I've had a few and maybe mushmouth shoutin' here but here's my take - at this time. I kegged an IPA on Jan 11th, OG 1.068, FG 1.013. I hopped with Magnum @60, Cascade and Amarillo @15, Cascade and Ahtanum @ 0 and dry hopped with Amarillo and Ahtanum.

To be blunt I was mightily disappointed. Heavily perfumed and wayyyy too much citrus. It seemed like I had sliced an orange into my beer. I quit sampling it unless I blended it with an amber ale I brewed.

Tonight, a little more than two weeks later it works. I like it! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/shock.gif) Time is a healer, patience is the brewer's friend.

Koop what kind of aroma do you have now? Aside from your bittering hop, how many total ounces of flavoring/aroma hops did you use?

+Quote Post
Koop
post Jan 27 2008, 09:48 PM
Post #15

Assistant Brewer

QUOTE(AUGIE91 @ Jan 27 2008, 06:59 PM) *
Koop what kind of aroma do you have now? Aside from your bittering hop, how many total ounces of flavoring/aroma hops did you use?

I'd characterize the aroma as more citrus than floral, but not over the top. I added equal parts of Cascade/Amarillo at 15 min (.75 oz each) and equal parts Cascade and Ahtanum at flame out (.75 oz each) and equal parts Amarillo and Ahtanum dry hopped (.75 oz each). I'm going to brew this again, I'll up the Magnum @ 60 and think about the Amarillo/Ahtanum/Cascade blend.
Meanwhile I'm brewing Pale Ale with only Magnum/Amarillo and another batch with Magnum/Ahtanum to determine the difference.

Sorry if I've gone off topic with this, but it's my only Ahtanum experience.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th July 2020 - 07:22 AM