Reply to this topicStart new topic
> newbie questiom, I really feel dumb..
HerrHiller
post Jan 30 2008, 03:17 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,482

I could bust out beer smith but I havent touched the program too much and frankly I wanna make sure I'm right. not using any specialy grains or anything..just using only 2 3.3lbs cans of LME and 1 3.3 can of ELME that should be right in the ballpark of an average ABV of around 5%-7%. also...I was going to use hallertauer. but of course hallertauer wasn't there. I bought hersbrucker. how closely related r these? and saaz. which of these 2 u think would be better substitute?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neddy191
post Jan 30 2008, 03:35 PM
Post #2

Brewer

Member No.: 6,919

Hersbrucker is a variety of Hallertau

Check this link out
Hallertauer There are many other hop description/substitution links out there too.

This post has been edited by Neddy191: Jan 30 2008, 03:36 PM

+Quote Post
HerrHiller
post Jan 30 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

ok thanx for that! the other thing is can someone tell me if I'm right with the 2 3.3LME and 1 3.3ELME being right about what I need for 5-7ABV and not too much sweet when its all done?

+Quote Post
Neddy191
post Jan 30 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #4

Brewer

Well 9.9lbs of LME total will give you an OG of around 1.076. The abv from that OG all depends on the attenuation you get from you fermentation. If you just pitch 1 tube or pack of yeast right in it'll probably end with a high FG and thus sweet beer. You probably should knock off a couple pounds of the LME to get your OG down some. If you can I"d make a starter and pitch that. That will give you the best chance of coming out around 6% without too much sweetness.

EDIT: Those numbers are based on a 6 gal batch which is what I typically do

If you did a 5 gal batch 9.9# of LME would give you an OG of 1.091 which with a good fermentation would be over 9% abv. Knocking off 1 of you 3.3# additions would give you an OG around 1.061 thus with a good fermentation you'd end up around 6% abv.

Another thing to avoid excess sweetness (aka extract twang) is to do full volume boils. If you do a concentrated boil (boil 3 gallons and top up with 2 gallons in the fermenter) you'll get more kettle caramelization which can be percieved as sweetness.

This post has been edited by Neddy191: Jan 30 2008, 03:57 PM

+Quote Post
HerrHiller
post Jan 30 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #5

Brewmaster

ok. ill just go with 6.6 lbs of LME cause this is a 5 gal batch. and my plan was to make my wort...put my wort in the bucket...then take my packet of safale US-05 put in water let it sit for 15 minutes then stir a little bit and add some of the wort...wait 5-10 minutes then add twice as much wort as before...then wait another 5-10 minutes and add 3wice as much wort as before then...then wait about 10-15 minites.. and pitch my pint of starter and maybe stir...but prolly not stir...and just seal it back off. this sound like a good plan?

+Quote Post
Neddy191
post Jan 30 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #6

Brewer

A packet of US05 will have a pretty good cell count for your beer. If you can't make a proper starter I'd just rehydrate about 15 mins before your ready to pitch then just pitch it in. Your plan wouldn't really give the yeast time to wake up and would introduce a lot of extra steps that could introduce critters you don't want.

This post has been edited by Neddy191: Jan 30 2008, 04:07 PM

+Quote Post
Neddy191
post Jan 30 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #7

Brewer

Some links you may find helpful

Brewing calculators

Pitching rates and Starters

Pitching rate calculator

+Quote Post
HerrHiller
post Jan 30 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #8

Brewmaster

ok. thanx a lot for the advice.

+Quote Post
ChefLamont
post Jan 30 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #9

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,007

What yeast are you using?

+Quote Post
HerrHiller
post Jan 30 2008, 09:56 PM
Post #10

Brewmaster

I am using safale US 05. so here is an update. I hooked her up. 6.6 of LME. I also used a lb of corn sugar. now, I have a ferment bucket full of wort.. and its still hott! I have it outside in the cold. sealed of course..but is been3 hours now and still cold. now I allready rehydrated my yest added a little corn sugar to I've it a little longer life expetancy..its in a plastic cup itha paper tower over it...how long u think that yeast will be ok while I wait for the bucket to cool down?. is it maybe the liquid inside is cool and the plastic is just still hot?. again most important question is how long hould that yeast be ok?

+Quote Post
cavman
post Jan 30 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #11

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,902

QUOTE(HerrHiller @ Jan 30 2008, 09:56 PM) *
I am using safale US 05. so here is an update. I hooked her up. 6.6 of LME. I also used a lb of corn sugar. now, I have a ferment bucket full of wort.. and its still hott! I have it outside in the cold. sealed of course..but is been3 hours now and still cold. now I allready rehydrated my yest added a little corn sugar to I've it a little longer life expetancy..its in a plastic cup itha paper tower over it...how long u think that yeast will be ok while I wait for the bucket to cool down?. is it maybe the liquid inside is cool and the plastic is just still hot?. again most important question is how long hould that yeast be ok?

Why not scoop out a small amount of wort that you can cool down fast, add to a sanitized jar, cool, add yeast and cover with sanitized aluminum foil? When the rest of the wort is cool add everything back.

+Quote Post
HerrHiller
post Jan 30 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #12

Brewmaster

not a bad idea...I have a spigot on my wort bucket so that should be simple.

+Quote Post
AUGIE91
post Jan 31 2008, 09:55 AM
Post #13

Brewmaster

Member No.: 9,238

I see an immersion chiller in your future (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th August 2020 - 10:34 AM