IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does bourbon char "expire"?, Re-sterilize?
sfranklin
post Jan 31 2008, 09:15 AM
Post #1

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,490

Expire is probably not the right word. I have been sitting on some bourbon char for about a year. I used about a pound the first time and my friend who was going to use the other pound just never has. Its dry, and in two zip lock bags but im not sure I trust it completely. I could 1) chuck it in the secondary straight out of the bag or 2) re-sterilize it in in some bourbon. Im leaning toward option #2 even though I think a bourbon rinse would take away from the sugar etc that makes the char effective...

My plan would be to stuff the char into a stocking and submerse it in the new bourbon. I guess I want to minimize the amount of new bourbon and keep the contact time as short as possible. Also, should I add the bourbon to the stout or pull out the char-stocking and leave whats left? Tanks

S
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sfranklin
post Jan 31 2008, 10:39 AM
Post #2

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,490

Alright, I have done some searching and considering what I have read about souring barrels I am going to re-phrase my questions.

Should sanitize this stuff in boiling water or bourbon?

If I use bourbon, what would be the minimum contact time to kill anything that could be growing?

Thanks

S
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th August 2020 - 11:03 AM