Total Votes: 3
Guests cannot vote 
mach5
post May 19 2008, 09:12 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,983

Bube's Brewery is a unique historic location nestled in a quiet corner of Mt Joy, PA. It is located minutes from Lancaster or Harrisburg and is very close to exits on route 283. The Brewery includes three different restaurants, the Catacombs, Alois and the Bottling works. The Catacombs is in the old beer caves under the restaurant (that's where we ate). The Bottling works is the bar/pub area. Alois is more of a victorian type atmosphere. All three restaurants have a different menu.

The brewery offers different events with live music occuring quite often, murder mystery dinners and also themed feast dinners.

Atmosphere:
As mentioned, we dined in the Catacombs. The atmosphere is very different and interesting. You are nestled underground in the old caves that served as the beer conditioning caves. The tables are lit by candlelight, it is very dark, the floors and walls are uneven and it is relatively cozy. Not a place for people that do not like closed-in areas or do not wish to eat in a very dark setting. They give you a little tour of the brewery as they take you into the catacombs including the old fermentation area and they show you the old tanks and talk about how they were cleaned.

The Catacombs and Alois seem to be more upscale whereas the Bottling Works is more of a pub/bar atmosphere more suited to drop in eating and drinking. I suggest reservations for the Catacombs or Alois.

Service:
The service was pretty good. They keep your water glass full and are constantly stopping by for drink orders, there is a dedicated cocktail waitress that will get your drinks. Food came relatively quickly.

Beer Selection:
Bube's re-opened the brewery in 2001. They are working on a 3.5 bbl brewhouse to fill two 10 bbl fermenters. I did not see the brew house from inside the brewery, so I'm not sure where it is located, but I didn't check out the whole place. That said, they were offering four beers at the time a pale ale, scottish ale, maibock and brown ale. All of the house beers were excellent and there are reviews posted on Ratebeer if you want more information about them. Not a huge selection, but all solid beers. It appears they brew once per week, on Saturdays so I'm not sure if you could stop by to watch or not. They also have a bunch of guest taps of other local microbrews, so this is not a house-beer only location. You can enjoy a Troeg's, Lancaster or Spring House brew.

Food:
The food was good. I had the NY Strip it was cooked to order and the portions were nice. Its the kind of place you leave feeling full but not bloated. Their pretzel dip that you get before the meal was certainly interesting. I wish their menu was more extensive but it seems to be about the norm for this price-range of restaurant.

Summary:
Bube's is a neat place if you want an authentic old time brewery experience. Both times I was there I really enjoyed it. I would like to check out the Bottling Works and Biergarten some time and possibly a feast and some live music. For restaurant information and events their website is great and they keep it updated. I give Bube's a solid 9 out of 10.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th February 2018 - 07:02 PM