Group: Members
Member No.: 9,191

As per Avery:
Beer Style: Brewed beyond any known category
Hop Variety: Sterling
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, Belgian wheat
OG: 1.064 Alcohol By Volume: 7.68 IBU's: 19.2
Color: Hazy Sunset

15 years of brewing! You know whats been the best part lately? Tons of experimentation! For the past couple of years, we've been working with several strains of brettanomyces (wild yeast). We found one and deemed it the best for it's tart flavor and funky, fruity aroma. Adding black mission figs for a subtle jammy aspect, hibiscus flowers for an herbal bouquet and hazy sunset hue, and white pepper for a bit of spicy twang, we've created FIFTEEN-- a unique drinking experience inspired by the wild farmhouse ales of Belgium. Though immensely complex today, more flavors will emerge with time, so throw a few bottles in your cellar for future celebrations.
Thanks to everyone who has made our 15-year ride possible. Peace to all and follow your dreams!

Availability:

* 22 oz. bottles
* 5.17 gallon keg
* 15.5 gallon keg
* May each year, until sold out.

I was in Boulder for my brother's wedding on 6/1/08 and I had the opportunity to sample a couple of 22oz bottles of this over the weekend and brought another 2 home with me to see how thay age. Overall I have to say that I really enjoyed this beer and would give it an 8/10. Although it seems that Brett is the new pink for small breweries, I feel that Adam Avery did a great job of putting out a solid product. The Brett is rumored to have come from Drie Fonteinen and this beer has some great brett barnyard-ish characteristics that cover up some of the beers faults. For me the herbs/spices were a bit too aggressive, but this will fade with a year or two when I expect that this beer will really come into it's own. I have to admit that if I would not have known that there was figs in this I never would have known. Overall it's a nice dry beer with subtle woody flavor that some how comes across despite everything else that this beer has going on with it. If you like funky beers you should try this one...if not, well your loss.

Anyone else try this yet?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
strangebrewer
post Jun 11 2008, 09:31 AM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,037

Thanks for the review. I've got 3 bottles of this myself. One is in the fridge and the other 2 on the shelf with the wine aging. I've been waiting for a good excuse to open the cold one, maybe I will tonight and I'll report in!

+Quote Post
strangebrewer
post Jun 16 2008, 08:53 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,037

The wife and I split a bottle this evening. The first thing that hit me is that characteristic brett aroma. The aroma had a bit more to it though and I chalk that up to the Habiscus flowers listed on the label. Not real familiar with a habiscus smells/tastes like but the aroma was more than just brett.

On tasting I got pineapple and the wife said grapefruit. That immedietly made me think Brett C. perhaps? It has a nice tart dry finish. Overall I enjoyed this beer and I'm happy that I have 3 more bottles in my basement! It has a nice floral bouquet to the aroma and good flavor. If it wasn't printed on the label I wouldn't have know there was any fig in this beer. While I agree the herbs and spices were a little up front I didn't find them overwhelming and I think they will fade and blend nicely with some age.

If you enjoy a walk on the wild side of brewing this is a must try. I think Avery put forward a solid product and hopefully will be just the beginning of their wilder offerings.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th February 2018 - 01:06 PM