IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blue Braggot - Group Brew (2/7/04), A dark winter warmer...
HighTest
post Jan 6 2004, 09:16 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 589

Ok folks, here we go. This topic will provide the details for making my Blue Braggot - a cross between a true braggot (honey & malt) and a melomel (honey & fruit). It is the 4th time I've made this mead, and the recipe has been revised each time - for the better... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

This post will list the ingredients so those who would like to make this brew can shop for them. I'll begin posting the detailed preparation instructons on Jan 31, 2004, which should provide ample time for everyone to get ready.

Ok, here's the shopping list... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

5# Light DME (+208g).......................5# Blueberries (fresh, or fresh frozen)
½# Crystal malt 120 °L.....................Superfood (yeast nutrient) – see below
½# Belgian Special ‘B’ malt................Diammonium Phosphate (DAP) – see below
10# Honey (~0.85 gal)......................1½ tsp Pectic Enzyme
½ Black cardamom pod (lightly crushed) – No more! This is a very strong spice.
2 5g packets 71B-1122 yeast.............1/8 tsp Potassium Metabisulfite (KMETA)
2 5g packets Champagne yeast (optional, to be discussed later)

Equipment-wise you'll need two 6 gal carboys, a grain bag, racking cane & associated tubing, hydrometer, 0-200°F thermometer, 2000ml Erlenmeyer flask (or equiv.), airlocks, & stoppers. Optional equipment: magnetic stir plate, digital pH probe (calibrated), and a digital scale.

For the present time, I'd like to keep any discussion on this recipe to the ingredients & the equipment. Once I start posting the recipe instruction we can discuss the other aspects of making this brew.

Lastly, you should know that this brew will need to mature for at least 18 months from the point at which all fermentation has ended. Although you can sample it as early as 12 months, the additional 6 months makes a big difference... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif) The end-product will be in the range of 12-14% abv.

Oops, I just noticed that I did not explain the "see below" for the nutrient & DAP. The reason for this is that note refers to a staggered addition schedule (to be provided later) which uses a total of 7.0 g (~0.25 oz.) of each item divided into 3 (unequal) portions.

This post has been edited by HighTest: Jan 6 2004, 12:33 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave in Indiana
post Jan 6 2004, 03:34 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Group: deleted
Member No.: 42

Here's a partial ingredient list from HBA for the Braggot recipe:
Light DME
Crystal Malt
Belgian Special B Malt
71B Yeast
Champagne Yeast
DAP
Pectic Enzyme
Potassium Metabisulfite
Black Cardamom seed

This post has been edited by HighTest: Jan 31 2004, 08:40 AM

+Quote Post
Howie
post Jan 7 2004, 12:48 AM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 642

HighTest,

Do you have any recommendations for the honey? Is generic clover honey from the supermarket acceptable, or does the recipe benefit from one of the varietals (like orange blossom) that HBA and others carry?

Also, regarding the Superfood Nutrient. . .I think you recommended The Wine Lab as a source for that. Is that correct? Will they sell to someone for just a small amount of nutrient?

Finally, would there be any problem using a plastic wine bucket for the primary? I don't have any 6 or 6.5 gallon carboys, but I do have a 7 gallon wine pail. I would like to get away with buying only one new carboy for this if possible.

This post has been edited by Howie: Jan 7 2004, 12:51 AM

+Quote Post
HighTest
post Jan 7 2004, 05:55 AM
Post #4

Brewmaster

QUOTE(Howie @ Jan 7 2004, 01:48 AM)
Do you have any recommendations for the honey? ...
...Superfood Nutrient. . .Finally, would there be any problem using a plastic wine bucket for the primary? 

Generic clover / wildflower honey is fine - that's what I used.

Superfood is sold by The Wine Lab. They sell a 100g packet for $2. But, they have a $25 min order policy. You may be able to substitute FermaidK but I'm not sure of the differences between the two nutrients.

A plastic primary is fine (I use one quite often). However, you will also need two 6 gal carboys. Unless you want to perform the secondary rackings into a plastic pail, which will make it impossible to tell how much sediment is produced. I've racked the braggot twice since it's been in the secondary, and it looks like it will need one more racking before bulk aging... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

There are options like scaling the recipe, or using a gallon jug to supplement the smaller carboy volume. Scaling will not be so easy because of the amount of spice that is used - unless you omit it (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sorry.gif)

+Quote Post
bigslowrock
post Jan 16 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #5

Brewer

Member No.: 226

so many meads so little #'s of carboys!!

+Quote Post
HighTest
post Jan 31 2004, 08:09 AM
Post #6

Brewmaster

Ok group (not sure how many are in it...), here we go - remember the Brew Date is Saturday, Feb 7th, 2004:

1 Week Before Day 1
Prepare yeast starter. 1) Make Starter: Make a starter by adding 208g DME to 2000 ml water - boil for 15 min. – watch for boil over. Remove from the heat, transfer to a 2000ml Erlenmeyer flask, and cool rapidly to 75°F. 2) Rehydrate: If refrigerated, remove yeast and allow 30 min for it to come to room temperature. Place 3/4 Cup of water into a wide-mouthed bowl and heat to a temperature between 100 – 104°F. Measure this temperature - do not guess at, or estimate, it. Sprinkle the yeast over the water’s surface. Allow this suspension to rest for 15 min. 3) Proof: Stir-in 1/8 tsp of sugar into the yeast and cover with a saran wrap seal. Within 30 min there should be visible signs of yeast activity. When this yeast activity is seen, add the proofed yeast and 1/8 tsp of Superfood to the starter and cover the flask with aluminum foil. Allow starter to mature for 3-4 days – use a magnetic stir plate if available. Then place into a refrigerator in preparation for cold pitching.

Day 1
Place 2 gallons of water into a large pot (12qt) and heat to 170°F. While the water is heating, crush grains, mix together with ½ cardamom pod, and place in grain bag - tie-off end.

Once at 170°F remove pot from the heat, reserve all but 2 quarts of water, and steep grains in this water for 30 min (covered). Remove grain bag and rinse with the reserved water – allow bag to drain in a bowl. Collect 7qts sweet wort and add to a sanitized 6.5 gal primary and cover.

Add 2 gallons of water to the large pot and heat to ~ 110°F. Slowly add the DME while stirring briskly with a wire whisk. NOTE: the DME will form clumps if added too fast. Once dissolved, pour half of this mixture into the primary containing the sweet wort. Now, stir-in the honey and heat mixture to 160°F. Maintain 160°F for 30 sec., and skim-off any scum, or foam, that may form. After the mixture has been pasteurized, transfer it to the primary, and add 0.5 gal water. The total must volume should be close to 5.5 gallons. Mix well, cover, and seal under an air lock.

When the primary temperature falls to about 75-80°F, measure the must pH & SG. The pH should be above 4.0 (near 4.6). Then infuse must with 4 min pure oxygen, and add the yeast starter (Note1), and nutrients according to staggered schedule below. Seal the primary under an airlock. Estimated OG: 1.110, Target FG: 1.000-1.005

Staggered Yeast Nutrient & DAP Addition
Infuse 4 min pure O2 just before pitching yeast
Stage 1: At inoculation – 3.4g each Superfood & DAP
Stage 2: At active fermentation (23-24°B, 1.092-1.099) (Note2)– 2.2g each Superfood & DAP
Stage 3:At fermentation mid-point (18.3-19°B, 1.056-1.061) – 1.4g each Superfood & DAP

Note (1): Before pitching yeast, decant excess wort off of the yeast slurry to the 1000 ml mark. Then swirl the starter to suspend the yeast.
Note (2): Be aware that the active fermentation stage approaches quickly, and it may come as soon as 8 hrs after the first signs of airlock activity.

After the Stage 2 nutrient addition, measure the SG & pH (The pH measurement is optional - I do it to for my own edification) every 4-6 hours to be ready for the 3rd stage nutrient addition. DO NOT add any nutrient after passing the fermentation mid-point.

24-36 Hours Before Racking to Secondary
Place 1 Qt of water into a large pot and heat to 165°F. Turn off the heat; add the frozen blueberries, cover, and mix well. When thawed, mash berries, and add the pectic enzyme to the fruit. Place the berry slurry into a 6-gallon carboy (under an airlock). After an hour, add the KMETA and swirl berries to mix well. Wait 24 hours before adding the fermenting honey mixture.

Monitor the SG daily until the SG is about 1.025, then rack the fermenting honey mixture onto the secondary containing the treated berries. After 10 days on the fruit, rack mead to another 6 gal carboy leaving the fruit behind. After 30 days, rack mead to clean carboy.

Note: At this point, I added the rehydrated & proofed Champagne yeast in an effort to lower the SG to ~1.010-1.015. This fermentation is a slow process - I'm seeing a 0.001 drop in SG every 15-20 days.

Monitor SG by hydrometer every 2 weeks for the next 30-60 days. After fermentation is complete, age another 3-6 months - rack at 31-day intervals (as necessary based on lees accumulation). Bottle Braggot in 22 oz. beer bottles using oxygen-barrier caps. This is a brew that should be bottle aged for at least 6 - 12 months.

I have kept detailed brew notes so we will be able to compare results as your brew progresses... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by HighTest: Feb 11 2004, 08:19 AM

+Quote Post
Dave in Indiana
post Jan 31 2004, 12:28 PM
Post #7

Brewmaster

QUOTE(HighTest @ Jan 31 2004, 07:09 AM)
1 Week Before Day 1
Prepare yeast starter.  1) Make Starter:  Make a starter by adding 208g DME to 2000 ml water - boil for 15 min. – watch for boil over.  Remove from the heat, transfer to a 2000ml Erlenmeyer flask, and cool rapidly to 75°F.  2) Rehydrate:  If refrigerated, remove yeast and allow 30 min for it to come to room temperature.

The 71B yeast, right? All 10 grams? Dave

+Quote Post
Dave in Indiana
post Jan 31 2004, 01:21 PM
Post #8

Brewmaster

QUOTE(HighTest @ Jan 31 2004, 07:09 AM)
Make a starter by adding 208g DME to 2000 ml water - boil for 15 min. – watch for boil over.  Remove from

For those without a scale ( I know I used to be there) ...

208 grams is roughly 0.45856147501589533 pounds or roughly 0.905 US cup

2000 ml is roughly 66.67 ounces or 0.5209 gallons.

Dave

+Quote Post
HighTest
post Jan 31 2004, 02:42 PM
Post #9

Brewmaster

QUOTE(Dave in Indiana @ Jan 31 2004, 01:28 PM)
The 71B yeast, right?  All 10 grams?  Dave

Correct, both packages - 10 g.

+Quote Post
Dave in Indiana
post Feb 2 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #10

Brewmaster

208 grams DME in 2000ml water
(IMG:http://home.comcast.net/~wellsboro_winery/208DME2000H2O.jpg)

Boiling for 15 minutes
(IMG:http://home.comcast.net/~wellsboro_winery/boiling15minutes.jpg)

3/4 cup 100 to 104 degree F water for yeast
(IMG:http://home.comcast.net/~wellsboro_winery/YeastWater.jpg)

Yeast
(IMG:http://home.comcast.net/~wellsboro_winery/yeast.jpg)

Sprinkle Yeast over the water's surface
(IMG:http://home.comcast.net/~wellsboro_winery/sprinkleyeast.jpg)

Proof and cover
(IMG:http://home.comcast.net/~wellsboro_winery/coveredproofedyeast.jpg)

Cool starter rapidly to 75 degrees F
(IMG:http://home.comcast.net/~wellsboro_winery/coolrapidly.jpg)

Visible signs of Yeast Activity
(IMG:http://home.comcast.net/~wellsboro_winery/visiblesignsyeastactivity.jpg)

Starter in "Hoosier" Erlenmeyer flask with 'tin' foil
(IMG:http://home.comcast.net/~wellsboro_winery/starter.jpg)

+Quote Post
Dave in Indiana
post Feb 2 2004, 09:10 PM
Post #11

Brewmaster

Not exactly according the recipe equipment wise, but I think everything will be A-OK!

Added the indgredients and water volume exactly as per recipe.

Dave in Indiana

+Quote Post
Dave in Indiana
post Feb 2 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #12

Brewmaster

I am concerned about allowing starter to mature 3-4 days without an airlock ...

+Quote Post
HighTest
post Feb 3 2004, 03:30 AM
Post #13

Brewmaster

QUOTE(Dave in Indiana @ Feb 2 2004, 10:10 PM)
Not exactly according the recipe equipment wise, but I think everything will be A-OK!

Looks good to me - but I think I would have covered the cooling wort... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
HighTest
post Feb 3 2004, 03:34 AM
Post #14

Brewmaster

QUOTE(Dave in Indiana @ Feb 2 2004, 10:11 PM)
I am concerned about allowing starter to mature 3-4 days without an airlock ...

Not to worry... I use foil all the time. The CO2 created by the fementing wort will displace any air inside, and the tight foil seal will keep dust & critters out. But if you have a problem with small critters in your area feel free to use an airlock.

+Quote Post
Dave in Indiana
post Feb 3 2004, 10:34 AM
Post #15

Brewmaster

Looks good to me - but I think I would have covered the cooling wort... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

I know, you are probably right.

But it's been like minus 10-13 F here for the past several days and I just didn't think I could pick up anything nasty in that temperature range. And you did say, "cool rapidly"! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/omg.gif)

Dave

+Quote Post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2018 - 10:54 AM