IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sugar Wine Recipe..., Am making Candy Water, Need Serious Suggestions...
MellowToad
post Jul 8 2008, 04:56 PM
Post #1

Group: New Member
Member No.: 12,488

Hey folks,

First off, my name is Josh and this is my first post. I'm a brew-a-holic and love making all grain beers and am starting to get into wine making. I went to my local brew shop today to buy a few 5 gallon carboys (as I heard that the prices are supposed to go up tomorrow due to a Mexican plant shutting down) and I overheard the owner talking about making Limoncello and other different flavored Liqueurs. After listening in, I learned that he was taking yeast, sugar and nutrient and creating a sugar wine, filtering it through charcoal and then either mixing it with flavorings or letting it soak with lemon shavings after it fermented (please note that he is not distilling this, nor am I). I was hooked.

After talking to him, I grabbed up all the stuff he said I would need:

1 Gallon Glass Jug with Air-Lock Adapter
1 Airlock
4 Ounces of Superstart Yeast (Ferments Out to 22%, Says Does 5-10 Gallons)
4 Ounces of Yeast Nutrient (Says 1 Teaspoon Per Gallon)
1 Pound of Filtering Charcoal
1 Filter Tube

And from the grocery store:

1 Gallon of Spring Water
10 Pounds of White, Granulated Sugar
10 Lemons
2 Limes

The only thing that I forgot to get was the recipe. I don't drink a huge amount so I don't need to make five gallons of this stuff, I only want to make one gallon (or at least until I get my recipe right). Anybody here ever make anything similar or have any suggestions as to how much sugar/nutrient I'm going to need? Do I just boil all of my sugar in the water then cool, pitch my yeast and my nutrient? Any other tips?

This post has been edited by MellowToad: Jul 8 2008, 05:17 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BobH
post Jul 9 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,106

I only have a recommendation.
Invert the cane sugar, it will make it ferment cleaner, faster, and more complete. Keep the sugar in syrup form so it can be mixed in easier.
http://www.franklinbrew.org/brewinfo/candi_sugar.html
Do the fermentation in two steps. Initially only use half of the total sugar syrup and after a week of fermentation add the balance along with more nutrient.

To reach 22% ABV you will need around 3.75 pounds of sugar per gallon of wort.

+Quote Post
MicCullen
post Sep 15 2008, 08:12 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,767

QUOTE(BobH @ Jul 9 2008, 08:19 PM) *
I only have a recommendation.
Invert the cane sugar, it will make it ferment cleaner, faster, and more complete. Keep the sugar in syrup form so it can be mixed in easier.
http://www.franklinbrew.org/brewinfo/candi_sugar.html
Do the fermentation in two steps. Initially only use half of the total sugar syrup and after a week of fermentation add the balance along with more nutrient.

To reach 22% ABV you will need around 3.75 pounds of sugar per gallon of wort.

You'll have real trouble getting pat 19 5 abv with cane sugar, try dextrose

+Quote Post
PoBoui
post Dec 8 2008, 01:09 AM
Post #4

Stewart

Member No.: 13,534

QUOTE(MellowToad @ Jul 8 2008, 04:56 PM) *
Hey folks,

First off, my name is Josh and this is my first post. I'm a brew-a-holic and love making all grain beers and am starting to get into wine making. I went to my local brew shop today to buy a few 5 gallon carboys (as I heard that the prices are supposed to go up tomorrow due to a Mexican plant shutting down) and I overheard the owner talking about making Limoncello and other different flavored Liqueurs. After listening in, I learned that he was taking yeast, sugar and nutrient and creating a sugar wine, filtering it through charcoal and then either mixing it with flavorings or letting it soak with lemon shavings after it fermented (please note that he is not distilling this, nor am I). I was hooked.

After talking to him, I grabbed up all the stuff he said I would need:

1 Gallon Glass Jug with Air-Lock Adapter
1 Airlock
4 Ounces of Superstart Yeast (Ferments Out to 22%, Says Does 5-10 Gallons)
4 Ounces of Yeast Nutrient (Says 1 Teaspoon Per Gallon)
1 Pound of Filtering Charcoal
1 Filter Tube

And from the grocery store:

1 Gallon of Spring Water
10 Pounds of White, Granulated Sugar
10 Lemons
2 Limes

The only thing that I forgot to get was the recipe. I don't drink a huge amount so I don't need to make five gallons of this stuff, I only want to make one gallon (or at least until I get my recipe right). Anybody here ever make anything similar or have any suggestions as to how much sugar/nutrient I'm going to need? Do I just boil all of my sugar in the water then cool, pitch my yeast and my nutrient? Any other tips?

+Quote Post
PoBoui
post Dec 8 2008, 01:15 AM
Post #5

Stewart

Member No.: 13,534

Sorry I botched that last reply. I made a chocolate mint liquer that I charcoal filtered once. The thing that surprised me the most is that they had glucose in the kid. I can't remembre if it was for fermenting or just thickening and sweetening, but you might go dwn to your local pharmacy and see how much they charge for diabetic glucose. Just a thought and good luck

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2018 - 04:55 PM