IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules PLEASE READ Before Submitting Recipes for Review

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Recipe?, Wow what a beer!!
grafxdesin
post Jul 22 2008, 08:48 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,880

Had this beer for the first time last night at my homebrewers meeting! Amazing!! So of course as a homebrewer I am know thinking of how to make this. I am thinking of trying a small 2.5 gallon batch just to see how it comes out! I found a recipe for Aventinus in the recipe section but not sure which one its for. But at least it might be a starting point.
Aventinus Clone

At the meeting our president talked about chocolate malt being in their and he had the owners come to one of our meeting about 5 years ago, so I am assuming he is speaking from a good source. I also understand a little about the ice distilation process and would like to try it. If anyone has any recipe ideas or comments about this beer feel free to add you info. I think for my first try I would like to try DME cause I have three pounds of wheat DME and I have no other use for it!

Cheers
Adam
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
grafxdesin
post Jul 22 2008, 10:45 AM
Post #2

Brewmaster

OK so I just found this on Beer advcate and it seems like it might be a little closer!
Partial Mash for 90 minutes

1lb Belgian 2-row pale
1lb German wheat
1lb. American wheat
1lb. German munich
9oz. 40L Crystal
4oz. German Melanoidin
1oz. Chocolate

then mixed with 8.5 lbs wheat LME ( recipe called for 6.5 lb. wheat DME, did the homebrew shop screw up the calculation?)

60 minute boil
1.25 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker at beginning of boil
.75 oz. Hersbrucker at last 15 min. of boil

pitched 1L. starter of Wyeast 3333 German wheat.

+Quote Post
grafxdesin
post Jul 22 2008, 08:47 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

k so I brewed this beer tonight and was also please to see on the wyeast website they say that a commercial example of a weizen bock using this yeast is Aventinus Eisbock!! So I was and am on the right track! They also claim this yeast alcohol tolerance is 10% ABV. Below is the recipe that I brewed tonight:

3# Wheat DME
1# Light DME
1/2 # White Table Sugar (To hopefully dry it out a little)
1/2# Belgian 2-row
1/2# American Wheat
1/2# Belgian Munich
4.5oz 40L Crystal
1oz Chocolate Malt

Steeped @ 154 for 90 min.
Boiled for 60min adding 1oz Mt.Hood 4.7%AA @ 60min and 1oz Hallertau Select 1.5%AA @ 15min.
OG 1.084 for about 2.75 gallons.

I am hopeing this will have a FG of about 1.015. If so it will be about 9.1% ABV. I then plan on freeze distilling that 3/4 of a gallon so I get a final amount of 2 gallons.

Does anyone have any idea how much my alcohol would be if I had 9.1% ABV then removed 3/4 of a gallon of water? I have no idea how to find that out!

Please feel free to make any comments!! I will post more in the next few weeks as thing progress!

Cheers

+Quote Post
OldSock
post Jul 23 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,420

QUOTE(grafxdesin @ Jul 22 2008, 09:47 PM) *
I am hopeing this will have a FG of about 1.015. If so it will be about 9.1% ABV. I then plan on freeze distilling that 3/4 of a gallon so I get a final amount of 2 gallons.

Does anyone have any idea how much my alcohol would be if I had 9.1% ABV then removed 3/4 of a gallon of water? I have no idea how to find that out!

Please feel free to make any comments!! I will post more in the next few weeks as thing progress!

Assuming you donít loose any alcohol in the freeze it would just go up proportionally. For example (2.75 X 9.1) / 2 = 12.5. Your FG would also go up as you are concentrating the dextrins.

Good luck, I think 1.015 is pretty optimistic for a big beer with that much extract.

Iíve never done an Eis beer, but I am getting ready to do one this fall.

+Quote Post
grafxdesin
post Jul 23 2008, 01:46 PM
Post #5

Brewmaster

QUOTE(OldSock @ Jul 23 2008, 01:49 PM) *
Assuming you donít loose any alcohol in the freeze it would just go up proportionally. For example (2.75 X 9.1) / 2 = 12.5. Your FG would also go up as you are concentrating the dextrins.

Good luck, I think 1.015 is pretty optimistic for a big beer with that much extract.

Iíve never done an Eis beer, but I am getting ready to do one this fall.

Old Sock, thanks for the comments! Can you explain that math a little more? Why did u divide by 2? Is 12.5 the ABV? Yeah 1.015 is a little optimistic but I am hoping the added table sugar and if I said the temp a little at the end of the fermentation to get somewhere in their! Time will tell!

This post has been edited by grafxdesin: Jul 23 2008, 01:46 PM

+Quote Post
OldSock
post Jul 23 2008, 03:09 PM
Post #6

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,420

Letís say you have 10 gallons of beer that is 10% alcohol. That means in your 10 gallons you have 1 gallon of alcohol (10 x .10 = 1) and 9 gallons of other stuff (mostly water). If you remove 1 gallon of the other stuff you now have 9 gallons of liquid including the entire 1 gallon of alcohol. The resulting liquid is now 11.1% ABV because 1/9 = 11.1.

The same math works for gravity during the boil. Boil 10 gallons of 1.050 wort down to 5 gallons and it will be 1.100 (.050 x 2 = .100).

Hope that helps.

+Quote Post
grafxdesin
post Aug 11 2008, 08:54 AM
Post #7

Brewmaster

Update - This beer is finally done fermenting and it got down to 1.017. I am going to cold crash it for 2 or 3 days then try out the Freeze Distilation process. I also saved about a 1/4 of the yeast cake on the bottom of the fermentor and am going to try and repitch it right before bottling so this beer has a fighting chance of carbing up! Please any comments or suggestions feel free!!!

Cheers

Oh and it tastes amazing so far, fermented at 68 and its very estery and smooth.

+Quote Post
Erick
post Aug 19 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #8

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 8,062

I've been wanting to brew some of Aventinus beers but I guess it would help if I tried them first. The sound like a terrific fall beer.
BYO has a recipe for the Wheat Doppelbock in this month's addition. What is the main differences between the doppelbock and the Eisbock?

+Quote Post
grafxdesin
post Aug 20 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #9

Brewmaster

Not sure as far as grain goes but the main differnce is the eisbock os freeze distilated to bring the alcohol up and the body! Its a very chewy beer and it packs a punch!!

+Quote Post
grafxdesin
post Aug 30 2008, 04:10 PM
Post #10

Brewmaster

OMG!! This beer is simply amazing! One of my favorites so far!!! And only after two weeks it has a great carbonation! I highly recomend anyone who enjoys Aventenus or any Eisbocks to give this a try!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2020 - 08:50 PM