Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Memory Lapse Pale Ale..., ... A very versatile recipe
kenlenard
post Aug 7 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 892

I'm not sure if I ever posted this one, but I have made it numerous times as extract and AG and I'm making it right now. You could argue that it doesn't fit neatly into a category, but it's a smooth, easy drinking beer that is good anytime of year and it goes well with various foods as well. For those who don't like beers unless they are at least 50 IBU, this is not your recipe. You can drink this beer all afternoon & night and not get tired of it... and you won't sound like a blithering idiot either. It's also good for using less precious hops.

Memory Lapse Pale Ale

7.25 lbs American 2-row Pale Malt
1 lb Crystal 60L
12 oz Malted Wheat
(mash everything around 152)
5 to 5.5 AAU of Mt Hood pellets for 60 minutes
White Labs 01 California Ale yeast (1st choice) or 1056 or US-05.

OG: 1.049, FG: 1.012, IBU: 23, SRM: 10, ABV: 4.8%

I try to ferment this beer between 60 and 65. It's a very simple recipe and can appeal to a wide range of beer drinkers from newbies to beer snobs. Cheers.

(IMG:http://home.comcast.net/~kenlenard/memorylapse.JPG) (IMG:http://members.aol.com/mayfairctbrews/images/weblabel9.jpg)

This post has been edited by kenlenard: Aug 7 2008, 10:20 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bob G
post Aug 7 2008, 12:40 PM
Post #2

Brewer

Member No.: 4,538

^ Great recipe^

This one is getting better with every pour. Thanks Ken.

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Aug 7 2008, 04:49 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Oh Hey, Bob... Do you have this beer on tap right now? If so, I'm jealous. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

Also... this beer DOES fall neatly into a category. It fits very nicely into 6A, American Pale Ale. It is too light in color (apparently) to fit into the amber category. But I thought the IBUs on this beer were too low for APA... but they fit into the 20-40 range. Cheers!

+Quote Post
Stuster
post Aug 7 2008, 06:30 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,489

You must have some older guidelines, ken. American Pale Ales are now 10A and 30-45IBUs. No matter. Call it what you want and the most important thing is that it looks like a nice session beer to me. Might have to give something like this a run for the summer coming here (or at least I'd like it to come more quickly (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/hehe.gif) ).

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Aug 7 2008, 08:21 PM
Post #5

Brewmaster

Hmm. I was just using the guidelines I see on Tastybrew.com. Apparently, they must be old, huh? It's okay... damn the guidelines I say! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sarcasm.gif)

+Quote Post
Yambor44
post Aug 8 2008, 06:29 PM
Post #6

Brewer

Member No.: 11,114

I'll try it on next round! I am assuming this is a 5 gallon batch??

+Quote Post
Bob G
post Aug 10 2008, 11:51 AM
Post #7

Brewer

Hey Ken,

It was on tap but it's now bottled to make some room. I also have the Homerun Red on tap. Thanks!

Cheers,
Bob

+Quote Post
CarlosM
post Aug 10 2008, 12:57 PM
Post #8

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 10,834

how do you measure AA units?

+Quote Post
slothrob
post Aug 10 2008, 01:01 PM
Post #9

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,990

AAU = %aa X wt. in oz.

For example 5 AAU = 5%aa x 1 oz.

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Aug 10 2008, 04:52 PM
Post #10

Brewmaster

Yambor44: Yes, a 5-gallon batch.

Carlos: Yeah, it's just the amount of alpha rating on the hops instead of saying 1 oz or 2 oz or whatever. 5 AAU could be 1 ounce of hops at 5% or 2 ounces of hops at 2.5% or 1/2 oz of hops at 10%. I have seen Mt. Hoods as low as 3.4% and as high as 5.6% so using 1 ounce could be misleading and could make a completely different beer.

Bob: Hey, I bottled the last 15-20 MLPAs too and then passed them out to friends. I have this batch fermenting and it smells awesome. Is your Home Run on tap now? Mmm, yummy.

Cheers, Na Zdrovie, Salute, Slainte, Mahbuhy!

+Quote Post
Bob G
post Aug 10 2008, 09:57 PM
Post #11

Brewer

Yeah, the HR is on tap. Good too.

+Quote Post
zymot
post Aug 12 2008, 02:39 PM
Post #12

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,254

QUOTE(kenlenard @ Aug 7 2008, 11:19 AM) *
I'm not sure if I ever posted this one, but I have made it numerous times as extract and AG and I'm making it right now. You could argue that it doesn't fit neatly into a category, but it's a smooth, easy drinking beer that is good anytime of year and it goes well with various foods as well. For those who don't like beers unless they are at least 50 IBU, this is not your recipe. You can drink this beer all afternoon & night and not get tired of it... and you won't sound like a blithering idiot either. It's also good for using less precious hops.

Memory Lapse Pale Ale

7.25 lbs American 2-row Pale Malt
1 lb Crystal 60L
12 oz Malted Wheat
(mash everything around 152)
5 to 5.5 AAU of Mt Hood pellets for 60 minutes
White Labs 01 California Ale yeast (1st choice) or 1056 or US-05.

OG: 1.049, FG: 1.012, IBU: 23, SRM: 10, ABV: 4.8%

I try to ferment this beer between 60 and 65. It's a very simple recipe and can appeal to a wide range of beer drinkers from newbies to beer snobs. Cheers.

Couple things I like about this recipe.

A single specialty malt - the conservative 1 lb 60L crystal. (I do not consider wheat to be a specialty malt)

A single 60 minute hop addition. Not as sexy as the multi-variety, multi-additions (boil flavor aroma) plus dry hopping. But makes for a nice basic beer. (German Alts, I really like a single 60 minute Spalt addition)

Nothing wrong with complex grainbills or multiple hop additions. I brew plenty of those too.

If anyone wants to see the beauty to be found in simple, try Ken's recipe.

zymot

+Quote Post
Blizzbrews
post Aug 14 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #13

Brewmaster

Member No.: 44

This one will definitely go on my list. If Ken's Corner Tap Pub Lager is any indication of his ability to design a nice recipe, I know this one will be great.

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Aug 14 2008, 01:44 PM
Post #14

Brewmaster

Oh, wow guys. I didn't expect this thread to turn into a love letter. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/inlove.gif)

Thanks for all the feedback. If this recipe looks interesting to you and you happen to have the ingredients laying around, whip up a batch and see what you think. I just racked my latest batch of MLPA to secondary with some gel and I saved half the yeast so I can make it again and I put the other half (White Labs 01) into the Spiced Pumpkin Ale that I just made today. Cheers.

+Quote Post
MrBisco
post Aug 20 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #15

Group: New Member
Member No.: 12,711

Newbie poster, newbie brewer here. Found this recipe, and after doing a pretty complexly-hopped recipe for our first batch (now in the fermenter), we plan on doing a variation on this recipe next.

Due to availability constraints here (I live in Israel) and space constraints, I converted this to an extract recipe. We also prefer a bit hoppier beer, so I upped the AAUs a bit, as well. Here's our recipe:

6.6 lb Munton's Extra Light LME
1 lb Cara Munich II (50L)
12 oz Wheat Malt
1 oz Centennial pellet hops - 9 AAU (60 min)
Safale S-05 yeast

We plan on steeping the specialty malts (including the wheat) before raising the wort to a boil, adding the LME, then the hops, and continuing with the boil schedule from there. My biggest concern is protein haze from the wheat being steeped instead of mashed, but I'm gonna go with it anyway and see what happens.

I'll post results, if there is any interest!

kenlenard: much props to what looks like a simple, tasty-as-hell recipe.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 03:23 AM