> Memory Lapse Pale Ale..., ... A very versatile recipe
zymot
post Aug 20 2008, 04:04 PM
Post #16

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,254

QUOTE(MrBisco @ Aug 20 2008, 04:08 PM) *
Newbie poster, newbie brewer here. Found this recipe, and after doing a pretty complexly-hopped recipe for our first batch (now in the fermenter), we plan on doing a variation on this recipe next.

Due to availability constraints here (I live in Israel) and space constraints, I converted this to an extract recipe. We also prefer a bit hoppier beer, so I upped the AAUs a bit, as well. Here's our recipe:

6.6 lb Munton's Extra Light LME
1 lb Cara Munich II (50L)
12 oz Wheat Malt
1 oz Centennial pellet hops - 9 AAU (60 min)
Safale S-05 yeast

We plan on steeping the specialty malts (including the wheat) before raising the wort to a boil, adding the LME, then the hops, and continuing with the boil schedule from there. My biggest concern is protein haze from the wheat being steeped instead of mashed, but I'm gonna go with it anyway and see what happens.

I'll post results, if there is any interest!

kenlenard: much props to what looks like a simple, tasty-as-hell recipe.

The wheat should get a proper mash. Other wise you won't convert the starches to sugars.

I think you would be better off going in one of two directions:

1- Use Wheat DME (and steep the Cara Munich)

or
2- Do a minimash.
Use your 12 oz of Wheat malt + 1 lb Cara Munich + 1-2 lbs of barely base malt. (adjust LME to taste)
Shouldn't be a large volume. 4 lbs of grain plus 5 quarts of water is only 1.6 gallons of space.
A moderate sized pot, a stove top and a way to strain the grains is all you need.

zymot

This post has been edited by zymot: Aug 20 2008, 04:06 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
timmysdaman
post Aug 21 2008, 08:19 AM
Post #17

Homebrewer

Member No.: 7,493

I just bought my ingredients for this yesterday... going to brew it as a lager on the warm end (55deg).

timmysdaman

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Aug 21 2008, 08:26 AM
Post #18

Brewmaster

Member No.: 892

I don't know why I didn't think of this, but in my extract days I used to make this beer and just steep the wheat with the crystal 60L. I think you could do the mini-mash as Zymot mentioned, use some wheat DME or even sub out the wheat with something like Carapils, CaraFoam or regular dextrine malt. The wheat is just there for some head stability. The Centennials will make it a slightly different beer and will make it hoppier, but that will work well for you, Mr.Bisco.

Timmysdaman: Hey, great idea using a lager yeast. Which strain are you going to use?

This post has been edited by kenlenard: Aug 21 2008, 08:27 AM

+Quote Post
zymot
post Aug 21 2008, 09:07 AM
Post #19

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,254

QUOTE(kenlenard @ Aug 21 2008, 09:26 AM) *
Timmysdaman: Hey, great idea using a lager yeast. Which strain are you going to use?

California Common yeast make great beers. I have used it all over the place and always been happy with the results.

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Aug 21 2008, 09:30 AM
Post #20

Brewmaster

I agree 2112 is nice. This beer would make a good "amber lager" with just about any yeast including 2124, 2206, 830, maybe a bock yeast, etc.

Speaking of 2112, I have the ingredients for my "West Coast Lager" which will be coming up shortly. 2112 and Northern Brewer hops, delicioso! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sarcasm.gif)

+Quote Post
Drez77
post Aug 21 2008, 02:24 PM
Post #21

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 2,324

I like the look of this one. I am thinking if doing a 10g batch and splitting it between 2 different yeast.

And the best part is I have everything on hand just have to get some yeast. Of course I do have a vial of Cry Havoc sitting around. Maybe I will follow Timmysdaman and do one like a pseudo lager. Hmmm decisions decisions

Mike

+Quote Post
timmysdaman
post Aug 22 2008, 09:46 AM
Post #22

Homebrewer

Member No.: 7,493

I'll be using the 830 cake off the Oktoberfest primary... might be a little while yet. I'm pretty excited about it.

timmysdaman

+Quote Post
ThePurpleDino
post Nov 3 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #23

Brewmaster

Member No.: 6,864

hey Ken...

Kudos for this simple but tasty recipe...

I brewed this early October and kegged it this week (used the WLP001 cake for a BW).

Poured my first Official Pint of your MLPA with Dinner today and have had a few more watching MNF. I really like it and will def brew it again...soon

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Nov 3 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #24

Brewmaster

PD: Cheers, Amigo. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cheers.gif)

I have it on tap right now and also bottled a bit from this keg for a party over the weekend. It's got that certain... I don't know what. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
BrewingDan
post Nov 7 2008, 12:23 AM
Post #25

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,742

QUOTE(kenlenard @ Nov 3 2008, 10:51 PM) *
PD: Cheers, Amigo. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cheers.gif)

I have it on tap right now and also bottled a bit from this keg for a party over the weekend. It's got that certain... I don't know what. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

So the only 60 minute addition of Mt. Hood gives enough flavor to balance the 1lb 60L crystal?

I'm really interested in making this really soon.

+Quote Post
Daryl
post Nov 7 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #26

Brewer

Member No.: 11,956

QUOTE(BrewingDan @ Nov 7 2008, 01:23 AM) *
So the only 60 minute addition of Mt. Hood gives enough flavor to balance the 1lb 60L crystal?

I'm really interested in making this really soon.

I hear ya. This is coming up on my to be brewed list quickly, along with several of kens other recipes

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Nov 7 2008, 09:02 AM
Post #27

Brewmaster

I was just having this conversation with Yambor44. He wants to make it, but he says that he rarely if ever uses just one hop addition. Again, this may not be a hophead's choice, but anywhere from 5 to 5.5 AAUs of Mt. Hood (or any hop variety you like... Yambor may use Sterling or Glacier) really does balance out the flavor of the beer. Beers that only incorporate a single addition at 60 are usually Oktobers, German Wheat beers, maybe Dunkel Wiessbiers, etc. Remember too that if you make it and decide that the single addition is not working for your tastebuds, you can do anything with this... add hops at 15, 5, 1, flameout, dry hop it or whatever. Good luck & cheers!

+Quote Post
BrewingDan
post Nov 7 2008, 04:25 PM
Post #28

Brewmaster

QUOTE(kenlenard @ Nov 7 2008, 09:02 AM) *
I was just having this conversation with Yambor44. He wants to make it, but he says that he rarely if ever uses just one hop addition. Again, this may not be a hophead's choice, but anywhere from 5 to 5.5 AAUs of Mt. Hood (or any hop variety you like... Yambor may use Sterling or Glacier) really does balance out the flavor of the beer. Beers that only incorporate a single addition at 60 are usually Oktobers, German Wheat beers, maybe Dunkel Wiessbiers, etc. Remember too that if you make it and decide that the single addition is not working for your tastebuds, you can do anything with this... add hops at 15, 5, 1, flameout, dry hop it or whatever. Good luck & cheers!

I've got faith and Mt. Hood on hand!!

I know I've seen your Corner Pub Lager, what other beer recipes do you have floating around?

+Quote Post
BrewingDan
post Nov 7 2008, 04:27 PM
Post #29

Brewmaster

QUOTE(BrewingDan @ Nov 7 2008, 04:25 PM) *
I've got faith and Mt. Hood on hand!!

I know I've seen your Corner Pub Lager, what other beer recipes do you have floating around?

On yeah, found your site

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Nov 7 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #30

Brewmaster

BD: Yeah, I just put most of my recipes on that site and I have a bunch of those currently in one state or another... primary, secondary, bottles, kegs, etc. Try the MLPA with the single hop addition as long as you have the Mt. Hoods available. If it's a little too mellow for you, you could bump it up to make it more "you". (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif) Cheers & happy Friday.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 03:22 AM