> Memory Lapse Pale Ale..., ... A very versatile recipe
Daryl
post Nov 18 2008, 12:55 AM
Post #46

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,956

QUOTE(BrewingDan @ Nov 17 2008, 09:23 PM) *
Everything went great. 1.053 and ready for yeast.

Dan are you like me and already ready to sample it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Nov 18 2008, 08:13 AM
Post #47

Brewmaster

Member No.: 892

QUOTE(Daryl @ Nov 18 2008, 01:53 AM) *
Ken,
Do you always use a secondary for your ales? I have only used secondary for my lagers. I planned to go from primary to bottles with this batch. Which is fermenting nicely. I have a few friends that are already wanting to sample it. Which brings me to another question, how long does this one need to age after being carbonated? Thanks, DM

Daryl: Yeah, I do secondaries for everything. Mainly because there are always many beers in front of whatever beer I just made... so everything goes down the same path. Primary, secondary on the cool basement floor, then into a keg in a spare fridge so it can get cold and carbed and eventually into the draft fridge. Are you planning on going primary to bottles with corn sugar for priming? If so, I would give it the normal amount of time to natural carb to form and all of that... 4 weeks or however long it normally takes. If I didn't understand your Q or I'm off-base, let me know.

+Quote Post
Daryl
post Nov 18 2008, 08:23 AM
Post #48

Brewer

QUOTE(kenlenard @ Nov 18 2008, 09:13 AM) *
Daryl: Yeah, I do secondaries for everything. Mainly because there are always many beers in front of whatever beer I just made... so everything goes down the same path. Primary, secondary on the cool basement floor, then into a keg in a spare fridge so it can get cold and carbed and eventually into the draft fridge. Are you planning on going primary to bottles with corn sugar for priming? If so, I would give it the normal amount of time to natural carb to form and all of that... 4 weeks or however long it normally takes. If I didn't understand your Q or I'm off-base, let me know.

That cleared it up for me. Just making sure that a secondary wasn't a necessary step for this recipe. Yes my kegs are full so it's corn sugar and bottles for this batch. I am hoping to harvest enough yeast from this batch to be able to brew your red ale and bases loaded pale ale and split the yeast slurry between them.

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Nov 18 2008, 08:35 AM
Post #49

Brewmaster

That's exactly what I'm doing... Memory Lapse, Bases Loaded Blonde, Home Run Red with WLP001. As far as the bottles go, just go with your standard bottling process. I use secondaries for "temporary storage" while those beers wait for kegs, but I also use it to get the beers clearer and let things smooth & settle a bit before they're served. Your bottled version will come out great. Cheers.

+Quote Post
Daryl
post Nov 18 2008, 08:16 PM
Post #50

Brewer

QUOTE(kenlenard @ Nov 18 2008, 09:35 AM) *
That's exactly what I'm doing... Memory Lapse, Bases Loaded Blonde, Home Run Red with WLP001. As far as the bottles go, just go with your standard bottling process. I use secondaries for "temporary storage" while those beers wait for kegs, but I also use it to get the beers clearer and let things smooth & settle a bit before they're served. Your bottled version will come out great. Cheers.

This will be my first time using wlp001. Will their be enough yeast to
split between the red and the bases loaded after I rack the memory lapse off of it?

+Quote Post
BrewingDan
post Nov 18 2008, 09:18 PM
Post #51

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,742

QUOTE(Daryl @ Nov 18 2008, 08:16 PM) *
This will be my first time using wlp001. Will their be enough yeast to
split between the red and the bases loaded after I rack the memory lapse off of it?

I don't want to talk for Ken, but both beers appear to be around the 1.050 range. Splitting the yeast cake from the MLPA should do the job. Especially if it is hot and fresh. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/blush.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cheers.gif)

This post has been edited by BrewingDan: Nov 18 2008, 09:18 PM

+Quote Post
Daryl
post Nov 19 2008, 12:31 AM
Post #52

Brewer

QUOTE(BrewingDan @ Nov 18 2008, 10:18 PM) *
I don't want to talk for Ken, but both beers appear to be around the 1.050 range. Splitting the yeast cake from the MLPA should do the job. Especially if it is hot and fresh. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/blush.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cheers.gif)

That's what I was hoping to hear. Means I can brew both the same day and have enough yeast.

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Nov 19 2008, 08:11 AM
Post #53

Brewmaster

Absolutely no problem with that. I often harvest White Labs 01 and after I have my harvested amount, I'm always looking at the rest thinking, "What a shame to throw this out..."

Good luck & cheers.

+Quote Post
BrewingDan
post Nov 25 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #54

Brewmaster

FG has held at 1.012 for three days, so plan on racking to secondary (until a keg opens up) on Wednesday.

Taste pretty decent right now.

+Quote Post
Daryl
post Nov 25 2008, 12:27 AM
Post #55

Brewer

QUOTE(BrewingDan @ Nov 25 2008, 01:00 AM) *
FG has held at 1.012 for three days, so plan on racking to secondary (until a keg opens up) on Wednesday.

Taste pretty decent right now.

Mine is at 1.014, still a little foamy. Taste pretty good already. Gonna give it a few more days and then bottle it. Kegs full! Plan to brew the bases loaded and red ale Saturday

+Quote Post
BrewingDan
post Nov 25 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #56

Brewmaster

QUOTE(Daryl @ Nov 25 2008, 12:27 AM) *
Mine is at 1.014, still a little foamy. Taste pretty good already. Gonna give it a few more days and then bottle it. Kegs full! Plan to brew the bases loaded and red ale Saturday

You, my friend, are truly a BEAST!!!

+Quote Post
Daryl
post Nov 26 2008, 09:47 AM
Post #57

Brewer

QUOTE(BrewingDan @ Nov 25 2008, 10:04 PM) *
You, my friend, are truly a BEAST!!!

Haha, tell you what DC can't be more then a few hour drive to Texas so your welcome to come by while I brew them.

+Quote Post
Jammerama
post Nov 28 2008, 05:50 PM
Post #58

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 13,278

You guys made this recipe sound so good, we are brewing a batch as i type. Hope it turns out as well as yours sounds.

Randy

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Nov 29 2008, 10:08 PM
Post #59

Brewmaster

Hey guys: I hope all of these batches come out well. I'm making it again next week but using US-05 instead of WLP001. Cheers!

+Quote Post
Daryl
post Dec 1 2008, 02:19 AM
Post #60

Brewer

Foam settled and I bottled my batch a few hours ago. I am off Tommorow so I am going to brew kens red ale and blonde ale.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd August 2020 - 07:17 AM