> Memory Lapse Pale Ale..., ... A very versatile recipe
kenlenard
post Dec 1 2008, 09:17 AM
Post #61

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 892

QUOTE(Daryl @ Dec 1 2008, 03:19 AM) *
Foam settled and I bottled my batch a few hours ago. I am off Tommorow so I am going to brew kens red ale and blonde ale.

Nice. Btw, I have been drinking my blonde on tap for a couple of weeks now and I futzed with the recipe a little. I think it is good "as is", but I was thinking that a small amount of Munich would make this beer better so I swapped out a pound of base malt for Munich and then I went with a ounce of flavor hops instead of . It will come out good either way, but I posted the updated recipe on my site if you decide to use the adjusted version. It needed a smidge more maltiness. Cheers!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daryl
post Dec 1 2008, 10:49 AM
Post #62

Brewer

Member No.: 11,956

QUOTE(kenlenard @ Dec 1 2008, 10:17 AM) *
Nice. Btw, I have been drinking my blonde on tap for a couple of weeks now and I futzed with the recipe a little. I think it is good "as is", but I was thinking that a small amount of Munich would make this beer better so I swapped out a pound of base malt for Munich and then I went with a ounce of flavor hops instead of . It will come out good either way, but I posted the updated recipe on my site if you decide to use the adjusted version. It needed a smidge more maltiness. Cheers!

I am about to get started and this one is first on the list. I think I will make the changes. The recipe I copied down did not have the flavor hop addition. Is that somewhat new?

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Dec 1 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #63

Brewmaster

QUOTE(Daryl @ Dec 1 2008, 11:49 AM) *
I am about to get started and this one is first on the list. I think I will make the changes. The recipe I copied down did not have the flavor hop addition. Is that somewhat new?

No, that was there... it was ounce of Hallertau Tradition for 10 minutes. The Munich malt will add some additional maltiness and I think ounce would be better here. As always, use whatever hops you like. I really like the way the Sterlings work in this recipe but the Tradition could easily be subbed with any mild hop of your choice. I am making the Bases Loaded Blonde again next week and plan to make the changes too... I think it will make a slightly better beer. Cheers.

+Quote Post
Daryl
post Dec 1 2008, 05:01 PM
Post #64

Brewer

QUOTE(kenlenard @ Dec 1 2008, 02:26 PM) *
No, that was there... it was ounce of Hallertau Tradition for 10 minutes. The Munich malt will add some additional maltiness and I think ounce would be better here. As always, use whatever hops you like. I really like the way the Sterlings work in this recipe but the Tradition could easily be subbed with any mild hop of your choice. I am making the Bases Loaded Blonde again next week and plan to make the changes too... I think it will make a slightly better beer. Cheers.

Sounds Good, I brewed it with the updated changes. Its chilling now. I had some equipment issues, that set me back. Right now I am debating brewing the red ale. I think I am gonna go for it. Mondays off are great.

+Quote Post
Daryl
post Dec 1 2008, 09:00 PM
Post #65

Brewer

Ken,
I went ahead and brewed your home run red ale. It's chilling as I type.

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Dec 1 2008, 09:03 PM
Post #66

Brewmaster

Duuuuude... you're on a roll. 2 beers in the same day and a Monday on top of it! Weekday brewing is awesome. Good luck on both.

Ps. What hops did you use in the Red? Cheers.

+Quote Post
Daryl
post Dec 1 2008, 09:31 PM
Post #67

Brewer

QUOTE(kenlenard @ Dec 1 2008, 10:03 PM) *
Duuuuude... you're on a roll. 2 beers in the same day and a Monday on top of it! Weekday brewing is awesome. Good luck on both.

Ps. What hops did you use in the Red? Cheers.

Mt hood all the way!

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Dec 1 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #68

Brewmaster

Whoo-Hoo! Rock on! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/headbang.gif)

+Quote Post
Daryl
post Dec 2 2008, 12:59 AM
Post #69

Brewer

QUOTE(kenlenard @ Dec 1 2008, 10:49 PM) *
Whoo-Hoo! Rock on! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/headbang.gif)

Dude I think you need to start two new threads or change the title to this one, seeing as it is covering there of your beers. I have them all brewed now. The memory lapse is in bottles, but the based loaded is the one I am anticipating the most. Thanks for sharing them. Guess I gonna have to look at your ofest next. LOL

+Quote Post
earthtone
post Dec 5 2008, 11:10 AM
Post #70

Brewmaster

Member No.: 12,118

well ken, this one sounds so good I had to order the goods for myself! Gonna brew tomorrow, thanks for the recipe!

+Quote Post
BrewingDan
post Dec 6 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #71

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,742

I left the MLPA in the primary for two weeks (no room to transfer) and it came down to 1.010. Transferred directly to the keg, carbed, and pulled a sample last night.

Had good mouthfeel and seemed balanced. The beer is of course green still, so I'll be pulling it off tap for now and placing it back on in two weeks.

But seems to be a nice easy drinking crowd pleaser. Can't wait to tap it again in two weeks.

+Quote Post
earthtone
post Dec 6 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #72

Brewmaster

hey ken/other MLPA brewers and drinkers,

I am just getting doughed in on this brew and I am excited to see how it comes out. I had a quick question about the hopping. I arrived at my LHBS today to discover a pleasantly full shelf of fresh hops just brought in. I bought a 2 oz bag of fresh Mt. Hood (5.1 %aa). I am going to put one ounce in at 60 to get in the 5 AAU range you recommend, but as I have no other plans for the Mt. Hood leftovers and have never brewed with this hop I thought maybe a flavour addition would let me use up the hops and also experience the unique taste of Mt. Hood. Does this sound like a good use for the other oz? I was thinking about making a 10 minute and a 5 minute addition, each of a half oz.

I am just looking for some advice on how to best add in this extra bit to best serve this recipe! Thanks a lot!

+Quote Post
Daryl
post Dec 7 2008, 02:15 AM
Post #73

Brewer

QUOTE(BrewingDan @ Dec 6 2008, 04:42 PM) *
I left the MLPA in the primary for two weeks (no room to transfer) and it came down to 1.010. Transferred directly to the keg, carbed, and pulled a sample last night.

Had good mouthfeel and seemed balanced. The beer is of course green still, so I'll be pulling it off tap for now and placing it back on in two weeks.

But seems to be a nice easy drinking crowd pleaser. Can't wait to tap it again in two weeks.

I bottled mine and let them carb naturally. Got one in the fridge I plan to try soon. The based loaded and home run red are still in primaries.

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Dec 7 2008, 10:07 AM
Post #74

Brewmaster

QUOTE(earthtone @ Dec 6 2008, 06:14 PM) *
hey ken/other MLPA brewers and drinkers,

I am just getting doughed in on this brew and I am excited to see how it comes out. I had a quick question about the hopping. I arrived at my LHBS today to discover a pleasantly full shelf of fresh hops just brought in. I bought a 2 oz bag of fresh Mt. Hood (5.1 %aa). I am going to put one ounce in at 60 to get in the 5 AAU range you recommend, but as I have no other plans for the Mt. Hood leftovers and have never brewed with this hop I thought maybe a flavour addition would let me use up the hops and also experience the unique taste of Mt. Hood. Does this sound like a good use for the other oz? I was thinking about making a 10 minute and a 5 minute addition, each of a half oz.

I am just looking for some advice on how to best add in this extra bit to best serve this recipe! Thanks a lot!

Earthtone: I have done this in the past... adding small amounts of Mt. Hood around 15, 5, etc. It will make it a slightly different beer but I don't think you can go wrong. Let us know how it comes out.

+Quote Post
earthtone
post Dec 7 2008, 02:18 PM
Post #75

Brewmaster

Well I did a 20 min and a 10 min and it is fermenting nicely now, smells delicious ken! Thanks for the recipe, I will give this thread a bump after new years when this is ready to drink!

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2020 - 11:20 PM