IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tragedy at the Brewhouse, You never think it could happen to you.
zymot
post Sep 15 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #31

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,254

Buckets and Cornies for me. I have a couple 5 gallon carboys, but they mostly collect dust.

When I do use them, one hand on the neck, one hand on the bottom. If it means I have to put it down to open a door, then that is what I do.

Between the mess factor and the safety factor, if I ever broke a carboy, the wife would not allow any homebrew in the house.

zymot
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Erick
post Sep 15 2008, 02:04 PM
Post #32

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 8,062

QUOTE(tag @ Sep 15 2008, 11:20 AM) *
Sorry for your loss.

Another reason i love fermenting in cornies. Indestructible and integrated handles.

That's a great point. What all do you need to do to convert one? Do I just need to buy an extra lid and drill?

+Quote Post
Monster Mash
post Sep 15 2008, 02:09 PM
Post #33

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,673

QUOTE(Erick @ Sep 15 2008, 02:04 PM) *
That's a great point. What all do you need to do to convert one? Do I just need to buy an extra lid and drill?

Just use the gas post as your blow off, the drawback is that you can't put 5 gallons of wort in it.

+Quote Post
pods8
post Sep 15 2008, 02:41 PM
Post #34

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,518

QUOTE(zymot @ Sep 15 2008, 12:29 PM) *
When I do use them, one hand on the neck, one hand on the bottom. If it means I have to put it down to open a door, then that is what I do.

+1. I'm honestly shocked every time I hear someone say they carry a full carboy by those neck handles, its just asking to snap the glass off... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/crazy.gif)

+Quote Post
Fletch
post Sep 15 2008, 03:00 PM
Post #35

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,232

QUOTE(pods8 @ Sep 15 2008, 12:41 PM) *
+1. I'm honestly shocked every time I hear someone say they carry a full carboy by those neck handles, its just asking to snap the glass off... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/crazy.gif)

Well, that wasn't the case here. I know several other people who have bronen carboys. I don't, however, know anybody who has had the neck snap off a carboy from the use of the carrying handle. I've never even read a first-hand account of such a thing happening. Has anybody here experienced this?

That said, glass is glass, and large glass containers need to be handled carefully.

This post has been edited by Fletch: Sep 15 2008, 03:02 PM

+Quote Post
kysmith
post Sep 15 2008, 04:17 PM
Post #36

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,662

I had this happen to me one time. Only difference was my carboy didn't break (which I still cannot believe).

+Quote Post
azu
post Sep 15 2008, 06:08 PM
Post #37

Brewer

Member No.: 779

QUOTE(pods8 @ Sep 15 2008, 03:41 PM) *

Just had my LHBS tell me it's ok to carry them full with the handle. I looked at him as if he was crazy. Wait, he is crazy!

+Quote Post
Fletch
post Sep 15 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #38

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,232

Well, I didn't mention it in my previous post, because I'm a little bit superstitious. but I've been carrying them full by the handle for 7+ years. Often two at a time (which is actually easier on the back then carrying one). BUT, I always pick them up slowly, and put them down to very gently. I also stop and put them down to open/shut doors, and I don't have to deal with any steps/stairs. I also don't try to carry anything else at the same time. I think it also bears mentioning that I'm always careful not to thermally shock my carboys.

Oh yeah, and I don't drop '03-A3 Sprinfield bolts on 'em! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Sep 15 2008, 08:04 PM
Post #39

Brewmaster

Member No.: 892

I think I mentioned this once before... I had a carboy chilling out in the garage during the winter and it had an orange carboy cap on it. Those caps don't really let you grab the neck the way you want to. I came inside, headed for the basement stairs and felt the cap starting to creep up. I was losing my grip on it about halfway down the stairs and then it came loose... I had to slide on my back, down the stairs and try to balance the full secondary so it wouldn't fall/spill/make a giant hole in the drywall. I got down to the bottom and only a little splash came out and landed on the floor. I put the cap back on and just shook my head in amazement. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/eh.gif)

+Quote Post
blktre
post Sep 15 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #40

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,743

I saw a buddy of mine carrying a 1/2 full 15g carboy when it exploded in his hands. Luckily he let go with one hand, bent over with and held out his arm when it crashed. Only thing left was the neck w/super sharp edges on it left in his held out hand. He usually hugged this thing when he moved it full. I then gave him mine (free of charge of course) as that scared the crap outa me. It wasn't a month later, this one blew up as well. Both times no scratches.
I still use glass for secondary.....my time is coming....

+Quote Post
MicCullen
post Sep 15 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #41

Brewmaster

Member No.: 8,767

QUOTE(blktre @ Sep 15 2008, 08:44 PM) *
I saw a buddy of mine carrying a 1/2 full 15g carboy when it exploded in his hands. Luckily he let go with one hand, bent over with and held out his arm when it crashed. Only thing left was the neck w/super sharp edges on it left in his held out hand. He usually hugged this thing when he moved it full. I then gave him mine (free of charge of course) as that scared the crap outa me. It wasn't a month later, this one blew up as well. Both times no scratches.
I still use glass for secondary.....my time is coming....

Anything bigger than the 6.5 scare the crap outa me.

I broke my first 5 gallon while cleaning it, slipped 1/4 full of water and PLC, and shatterd form just 2 inches up, minor cut on my foot.

Ever since I've have been uber careful with them.

+Quote Post
VolFan
post Sep 15 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #42

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,102

The wife picked me up a light duty two wheeler. Its all I use to transport full carboys now. Works great.

+Quote Post
urzasbrewtech
post Sep 15 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #43

Brewer

Member No.: 10,890

I had lost my 1st AG batch to my kitchen floor when I lost the grip on the wet bottom of the carboy I was using....thank God for shop-vac's. But I went out to NB's website and ordered up some brewhaulers.....I love these little nylon haulers!

Just finishing up a boil on a pumpkin dubble.

I'll raise a beer for your loss, at least it wasn't in the house!!!!!

+Quote Post
RommelMagic
post Sep 16 2008, 08:27 AM
Post #44

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,897

QUOTE(pods8 @ Sep 15 2008, 03:41 PM) *

My neck handles have long been retired. BrewHaulers all the way. As far as the straps slipping, they won't if you have them in the right place in the first place. I always check their position before lifting.

QUOTE(azu @ Sep 15 2008, 07:08 PM) *
Just had my LHBS tell me it's ok to carry them full with the handle. I looked at him as if he was crazy. Wait, he is crazy!

Next time you see them just let them know they'll be the first ones listed as a defendant in your lawsuit. Maybe they'll think twice before giving crappy, half assed opinions to the next guy and save someones appendage.

+Quote Post
Brett
post Sep 16 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #45

Homebrewer

Member No.: 3,321

I think I heard the crash and subsequent weeping in Yukon from all the way down here in the SE part of the state. May better luck and Better Bottles be in your future...

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2018 - 03:32 PM